Forcing FSX to use multicore?

dreamnugget

Hi guys and Gals, many many moons ago when FTX was born to the world, there was a fix to get FSX to use all the cores available on the system processor....was wondering if this is a fix that could still be valid even with the newer processors (as far as improving....dare I say it....gameplay).  If it is, can someone direct me to the thread.  I have a quad core amd athalon II x4 620 (2.6 Ghz, 2MB level2 cache) 4 Gig ddr3 ram, I havent got into the bios yet for a sticky beak.

Also running Radeon HD5670 DX11 graphics card (512 Mg DDR5).

Thanks in advance.

If you have SP2 or acceleration it already uses all your cores. stock fsx and sp1 dont have the capability. You can check by using ctrl-alt-del then selecting the performance tab and you should see them all busy doing there thing. The extra cores are utilised in loading textures and do help some.

Yes, FSX does use all cores by default to some extent, but you can set the jobs to be done on specific cores so fsx uses all cores more efficiently.

It is:

[Jobscheduler]

Affinitymask=14 for quad core processors, so that fsx runs fibers that are default at core 0, (aka first core, but known as core 0) and affinitymask sets other jobs affinities to rest 3 cores. That way some of the job wont be done on all cores that are available, but only on that core its assigned to.

It gives me couple frames, but your mileage may vary. I don't remember what is the affinitymask value for CPU's that have 3, or 2 cores.

Archived