PC won't boot at all

Remko

This is probably the strangest problem I've ever encountered: currently my FSX PC won't boot whatsoever, it won't even beep during POST, the keyboard light stays off, and nothing on the screen. All fans work as per normal, and the off button still switches everything off when I hold it for 4 seconds. But that's it.

This happened today immediately after I decided to hook up my old monitor to my second DVI port. I've tried everything now, even swapping the video card, but nothing seems to help.

A bit of history, I've had this problem before. When I just built this PC a few months ago, and I booted it up for the first time (with my 'old' monitor attached), exactly the same happened - nothing. After trying quite a few things, I took the PC to my parts supplier as I suspected a faulty mother board or CPU - the next day they told me the PC was working fine in their test lab. Took it home, again nothing. Took it back again, working fine there, but again not at home. Then I decided to use another (old) monitor instead, and suddenly all worked fine! I then bought a nice new Acer monitor, and I have enjoyed FTX every day since then without any issues at all (other then some landing mishaps  ;)).

But no longer. And I'm out of ideas. I have tried unplugging all cables completely, letting it sit for a couple of hours, switched monitors, switched video cards, booted without a video card (trying to get it to beep at least) - nothing.

Any suggestions from the experts here would be greatly appreciated! Hardware specs in my sig.

Thanks

Remko

PS: and I was really looking forward to giving my new A2A Cub a spin tonight...

Thanks all for your replies during the Australian night!

When I get home (in about 13 hours) I'll try your suggestions.

The PSU is a brand new top of the line Corsair with plenty of spare capacity and should be OK. Re motherboard, yes one would suspect this is the issue however see 'a bit of history' in my original post. It could be dead, but it 'resurrected' before.

Will let you all know, thanks again for your suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Remko

BEEP!!!  ;D ;D ;D

u might be suffering from a failed overclock at startup, try reseting the motherboards CMOS

Thank you sir! No idea how an overclock that had been in place for several weeks suddenly can cause grief after I plug in my old monitor, but we're back in business. Everything is working as per normal, just have to redo the BIOS now which I had documented so that should be fine.

Thank you all again for your advice and support. This is a great place. And now for some flying again!

Cheers

Remko

BEEP!!!  ;D ;D ;D

u might be suffering from a failed overclock at startup, try reseting the motherboards CMOS

Thank you sir! No idea how an overclock that had been in place for several weeks suddenly can cause grief after I plug in my old monitor, but we're back in business. Everything is working as per normal, just have to redo the BIOS now which I had documented so that should be fine.

Thank you all again for your advice and support. This is a great place. And now for some flying again!

Cheers

Remko

Everybody can overclock BUT is it a stable overclock? You have to run something like OCCT (one hours at least) to make sure you are stable.....goodluck.

Archived