Fatal errors, FSX has stopped working

ricky76

Hey all,

I can't seem to fly for more than 30-45 mins these day with out getting one of these errors that shut FSX down! Frustration level is rising to the max as I am dying to fly with the backcountry boys :'( I can't even get in a full flight with virtual Air Canada.

My cooling is good, power supply is ample, hardware is quite up to date (see sig.) My overclock is done through the ASUS EPU program that comes with the mobo. Now that may be it but even when I restore it to factory, I still get these messages. I don't know enough to do a proper OC through the bios.

Could my RAM be a bottleneck? OCZ 1066 tripple channel 6GB. I get pretty frustrated when I'm on a flight and the damn sim stalls for a few seconds, the mouse icon spins for a few seconds, the dvd-rom drive lite flashes for a few seconds and then the shutdown starts. I still get corrupted graphics after I change planes, weather, locations........ I have tried Tim's menu bar fix to no avail. Should I do a full system re- install? I'm lost! Ilove this hobby way too much to just give up on it. There has to be a reason for all these error's.

Cheers

Rick

Ive just started getting them too.  :(  ..  basically on start up and just about ready to fly.

Before you reinstall delete fsx cfg file and let it rebuild.  That has fixed mine after and, in my case , removing ECza . I'm still working on the reason but not sure if I can figure it out,  but ecza is the culprit.

If the cfg file gets corrupted that will give you a fatal error.

Thanks alan, Ok, so if I delete the fsx.cfg, do I need to worry about all my add ons? or should this be done during a full "re-install" of all flight sim related add on's?

I have a lot of addons for FSX on my machine. A lot I don't use anymore. planes, scenery ect..... would it be wise to delete the addons that just collect dust?

Hey all,

I can't seem to fly for more than 30-45 mins these day with out getting one of these errors that shut FSX down! Frustration level is rising to the max as I am dying to fly with the backcountry boys :'( I can't even get in a full flight with virtual Air Canada.

My cooling is good, power supply is ample, hardware is quite up to date (see sig.) My overclock is done through the ASUS EPU program that comes with the mobo. Now that may be it but even when I restore it to factory, I still get these messages. I don't know enough to do a proper OC through the bios.

Could my RAM be a bottleneck? OCZ 1066 tripple channel 6GB. I get pretty frustrated when I'm on a flight and the damn sim stalls for a few seconds, the mouse icon spins for a few seconds, the dvd-rom drive lite flashes for a few seconds and then the shutdown starts. I still get corrupted graphics after I change planes, weather, locations........ I have tried Tim's menu bar fix to no avail. Should I do a full system re- install? I'm lost! Ilove this hobby way too much to just give up on it. There has to be a reason for all these error's.

Cheers

Rick

Hi Rick,

What are your machine specs and settings, operating system, cfg file entries etc.? Where there is a reason (and there always is), there is a solution. There is enough experience and skill among FTXers in these here parts to fix anything! By the way, you can delete the cfg file and let fsx build a new one (after copying out the  [Trusted] addon sections) and just paste that part back in.

Kind Regards,

Did you overclock your system ? Which tweaks are you using (BP, TBM, ect.) ?

Did you run any stability tests already like for example Intel Burntest, memtest86, Furmark ?

I have Heiko, I used the ASUS EPU that allows you to select 0-30% OC. I am running 16% which gives me 3.86GHZ. But even when I revert to the factory 3.08, I still have the same problems. I also use no tweaks at all. I don't know enough to get into the tweaking scene. I am a visual guy and have a hard time taking OC, and tweaking advice from a forum. I just don't trust Youtube enough (or my own skills) to subject  a $2800 system to "trial and error"  ;)

I have had this same problem ove three systems.

1- C2D E6600 running vista 32 on a P5NE

2- C2D E8500 on the same board

3- My current sys. I7 950 on vista 64.....

Thanks for the reply Heiko! :)

Hi Rick,

What are your machine specs and settings, operating system, cfg file entries etc.? Where there is a reason (and there always is), there is a solution. There is enough experience and skill among FTXers in these here parts to fix anything! By the way, you can delete the cfg file and let fsx build a new one (after copying out the  [Trusted] addon sections) and just paste that part back in.

Kind Regards,

Just posted them above!    Stephen, I just think I need to get a little further into proper OC techiques via the bios!! But if these issues still happen during stock settings............. :-\  Thanks for the reply!!

The same problem with 3 systems ?

Is there any hardware part you kept when upgrading ? F.e. the 285 GTX

(just trying to get an idea)

I would recommend that you pull back to default speed and run those 3 stability test programs i mentioned above. That would be the first step to identify the offender.

Btw, which drivers are you using for the 285 ?

Do you use any freeware Antivirus or Norton ?

Hey Heiko,

Here is my driver. 8.16.11.9107  If I upgrade drivers, I have to re-do the whole nhancer settings again eh?

And I use Nod32 antivirus.

Thanks Heiko!!

Deleteing the cfg is easy. Just delete it and restart and it will rebuild automatically .  I wouldnt copy the " trusted" section just in case you are replicating the problem , of coarse you'll have to go through the hassle of hitting the "yes I trust this addon " but hey, you have isolated most other things out of the equation . When you restart use a known safe aircraft and see if things work  . If so - great , then add one by one untill the gremlin shows his face.

Could be something else tho'  :P    ;D

Deleteing the cfg is easy. Just delete it and restart and it will rebuild automatically .  I wouldnt copy the " trusted" section just in case you are replicating the problem , of coarse you'll have to go through the hassle of hitting the "yes I trust this addon " but hey, you have isolated most other things out of the equation . When you restart use a known safe aircraft and see if things work  . If so - great , then add one by one untill the gremlin shows his face.

Could be something else tho'  :P    ;D

Ahhh I know eh? damn pc's. Truly a love/hate relationship! I have the Abottsford airshow this weekend, so I may do a full clean on my pc and do each addon one by one :-\  afterall it has been over a year since I have done a fresh install. I am still convinced that the pmdg J41 has somehow influenced my issues. :-[ Thanks alan!

Dunno about this driver number... But i would recommend 197.45 whql for a 280 or 285 GTX. Those worked very well.

The nHancer settings usually stay - just turn it off when you change the driver.

Ahh Ok. I will give it a go. I believe my driver is a 190.7! I haven't upgraded it in over a year :-[ I will give the 197.45  a whirl.

Thanks for the help Heiko!! ;)

NP  :). Don't forget to use a driver sweeper after you've removed the old one. Guru3D has a free one.

Uninstall via -> Device manager -> Display adapters -> right click your GPU -> properties -> driver tab -> uninstall -> check 'delete driver software for this device' -> reboot to save mode (F8) -> run driver sweeper (and maybe a registry cleaner if you have one) in safe mode -> install new driver in save mode -> reboot

That's the correct way to change a driver.

Archived