Nvd3dum.dll Crashes FSX

gheeD

After installing GTX480, my FSX has started crashing becouse of nvd3dum.dll module, and i can't find the cure.

Observations: Loaded flight with real-world weather, crashed immediately after loading and showing aircraft on runway, loaded same flight again, same crash, loaded same flight BUT with fair weather, all went fine thru the flight.. Changing from 258.96 drivers to 258.69 didn't help.

Event viewer report:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14Faulting module name: nvd3dum.dll, version: 8.17.12.5869, time stamp: 0x4c2327a3Exception code: 0xc0000005Fault offset: 0x0034f413Faulting process id: 0x11dcFaulting application start time: 0x01cb35427f3359b8Faulting application path: D:\games\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exeFaulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvd3dum.dll

Cure: None...?  >:(

My ram is Kingston ValueRam 1333MHz and i've OC'd it to 16xx MHz (can't remember exact). But i will need to test lowering the mem speed and see if it then crashes. Im not sure about timings, becouse there were no info given on the box.

edit: This seems to be the one i have, with 2 other 2GB sticks.

Hi Kim,

I took a look on Newegg and this is what I found in the comment section. Apparently it is really good cost effective ram for 1333mhz in most cases, but has real difficulties if overclocked. If this is true that is more than likely the major, perhaps the sole cause of your crashes.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Pros: Inexpensive DDR3 at 1333, a perfect compliment for your modern 1333MHz FSB processors. Two gigs on one stick, not a combo, so you can load more RAM in your system if you're running X64.

Cons: This isn't the fastest DDR3 you'll see. If you really want performance, consider forking out the dough for one with better timing figures.

Other Thoughts: This RAM is a good way to get your feet wet with DDR3. Inexpensive, and still decently fast. You do get what you pay for, and you're forgoing a little speed to save some money with this RAM, but I've not had any problems with it.

It was auto detected by my system at 9/9/9/24 at 1.55v.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Pros: Runs great, fell apart at around 1.7 volts and 800mhz but for the money it's fine.

Cons: I messed up and didn't realize this isn't 800mhz ram, it's 667. I'd RMA it back but I ran out of cash, thus had to get the low cost ram. Do not overclock this ram much, but for the cost - again, it's great.

Pros: - cheap

- stable

- works!

Cons: - not recommended to be OC-ed

Other Thoughts: Bought 3 of these separately (didnt know that these have a Triple Channel Memory kit) but its in triple channel...

With my rig of:

17 920 D0 stepping (at stock)

Asus P6T SE

Powercolor HD 5770 (at stock)

3x2gb Kingston ValueRam 1333mhz

640gb Western Digital Caviar Green

Samsung Super Writemaster DVD Drive

HEC Cougar 1000w

Pros: Cheap. Pretty much all I can say.

Cons: Seems to have some difficulty running at 1333MHz on an asus P5G43T-PRO motherboard. Had to clock it back down to 1066MHz since 1333 was giving me a BSOD every now and then.

Other Thoughts: Read other members' purchases and what they have. It could be that this RAM isn't 100% compatible with a P5G43T

Kim, perhaps one way to find out is to back off your overclock until the ram is at 1333mhz to see if it works. You might have to swap out for 1600mhz ram my friend if you want to run it at faster speeds.

Kind Regards,

Thanks Stephen! I lowered to about 1200MHz clock for the memory, and now its stable and cpu is stable and nvd3dum.dll didn't crash on same place it did before i rebooted and did changes on bios. So i'd say its fixed now, but i will have to see if there's no random nvd3dum crashes in fsx. :)

Archived