Do all patches supercede/include relevant older patches?

sightseer

Im reinstalling.

I see that PNW.002 makes PNW.001 irellevant.

Is the same true for all patches/updates?  For example, Ihave the original YCDR and I never installed patch 1 or patch 2.  Can I go straight to patch 3?

Are there any patches that require previous patches?

Also -

my plan is to install:

1) AU SP3DVD

2) SP3.001

3) all AU airports followed by YMAV airport show SP3 (v1.1)

4) soundpatch for airports

5) library - maybe

6)PNW

7)PNW.002

8) NA airports

9) library again

Do I need to switch back to default FSX after installing all of Australia (before any PNW)?

Should I just always switch back to default FSX before installing an entire region or does it matter?  I know thats  a lot of questions but the update/reinstal process is complicated (to me).

Guest J van E

Orbx only offers the latest release of all their patches for download, so you can rest assured you only need those and that the older ones are not needed anymore. (The support page indeed only mentions this with the PNW patch, which can be a bit confusing, yes...) It wouldn't be fair to new customers if those older patches which aren't available anymore would still be needed, now would it? ;)

About switching back to default before installing things:

There is no need to do an FTX mode off in between Orbx installations.

Afaik you only need to turn FTX mode off when you want to install something from another company (don't know if this only goes for scenery addons but I guess it won't hurt to turn off the FTX mode when you install anything that's not from Orbx).

thats a good point J. 

If its not available then it must not be needed.  Ill go with that :D

but I did note that the PNW.002 thing said to make sure PNW was active before install of that patch.  I keep collecting patches and I back them up and then Ive got DVDs with all these un needed things on them.  Luckily theyre DVDRWs.

thats why I got them  :)

Guest J van E

but I did note that the PNW.002 thing said to make sure PNW was active before install of that patch.

Yes, interesting: I also remember one time an Orbx-installer turned FTX mode off and you had to turn it on before you proceeded with another install (can't remember what patch or addon it was). That you don't have to turn off FTX mode when installing an Orbx product is one thing, but having FTX mode on as a requirement is something else...!

I think we can conclude that whenever you install something that is NOT from Orbx, you should NOT have FTX mode on and whenever you install an Orbx addon you should have FTX mode ON. Just to be sure.

Maybe a dev can tell us if it is really mandatory: but even if it is not mandatory for ALL patches and addons, I think it would be easier to conclude this:

Whether you are installing something or simply want to fly: Orbx = FTX mode ON and not-Orbx = FTX mode OFF.

Right, mods? If it is, maybe a sticky with just this line would be a good idea, because this question is asked more often. ;)

Archived