Q9650

Tailgunner

Got ya. My FSB voltage is normally 1.32, tried it up to 1.36 with no change in behaviour. My board is not supposed to have any benefit beyond 1.36.

As for temp.s I have no way of telling what temp.s I got until I make it to desktop. Could it be getting too hot already on the verge of booting? I got all fans pulling max.

I went to 1.5 vcore btw, and typed my pw, got welcome message, then freeze  ::) Juuuust so close to a complete boot, but I sense I still have a long way to go. And crossing 1.5 V gets me in the yellows, and I have no idea how hot my processor is at that moment.

Raising NB is not good for this board, will cause instability, so l´ll stay in the 1.50´s range. I´ll try and search some more for experiences at 4.2GHz on my board, see if I can dig up something.

1.5v on core is to much for 4.20GHz....try 1.4875.......

The Southbridge (MCP), also known as the I/O Controller Hub (IHC) in Intel systems (AMD, VIA, SiS and others usually use 'southbridge'), is a chip that implements the "slower" capabilities of the motherboard in a northbridge/southbridge chipset computer architecture. The southbridge can usually be distinguished from the Northbridge by not being directly connected to the CPU. Rather, the northbridge ties the southbridge to the CPU.  A note on MCP:  the more video cards you have, the higher this value will be.  I suggest 1.6 for SLI and 1.6 to 1.65 for tri-sli stability.  Watch your temperatures in everest.  Often times the heatsink is not seated well for the MCP and SPP and those chips can get really hot causing instability.

The northbridge (SPP) plays an important part in how far a computer can be overclocked, as its frequency is used as a baseline for the CPU to establish its own operating frequency. The northbridge typically handles communications among the CPU, RAM,  PCI Express, and the Southbridge. SPP of 1.45V is good for memory configurations of 2X2 and above and memory frequencies of 1600 mhz and above.  This can stabilize the memory controller for added memory throughput.  The higher the speed (frequency) of the RAM, the higher this value will need to be.

,,,,your freezing problem should not be related to the core voltage not been high enough......if your core voltage is to low you'll get BSOD like before so to me you'll need to raise the SPP a little.......now your FSB and memory clock should be unlinked, memory (DDR), MHz type it by hand so if you have your rams running at 1600MHz be shure they will be at 1600MHz...you may have to raise or lower the FSB QDR MHz to be at 1600MHz on the nmemory DDR, MHz......memory timing setting to expert and enter the TCL TRCD TRP TRAS as per the timing on your RAMs exp: 8-8-8-24 or 9-9-9-24

Let see what will happend.......Yeah you can't keepan eye on the temp. if your not in window.... ;)

My NB is super cooled, see sig to the left or go to thread with the pictures of our rigs, you´ll see how I modded the NB 8) And the SB is connected via heat pipe system to the NB cooler.

I´ve got to take a break from oc´ing for now, it has become less fun. I´ll see what my buyer says on Saturday. He´ll probably spot what my problem is. I´ll have a go at 1.4875 next, thanks for all your explaining!

Bjorn

I am in a kind of dilemma...

My current clock is @3.510 GHz. I have 1.339V for the core, my FSB is at 389 and my VTT @ 1.27V. GTL REF0 and REF1 @ auto as is the rest (NB, SB etc..)

When i try to increase my FSB only 1 notch (390) my system won't boot...

When i increase my Vcore 1 notch (1.3441) i boot and i can keep on going to increase my FSB BUT my temps. go to hell... literally..  like 72-76.. which is definitely too much for my taste.

So, to me it looks like i reached the limit eventually. My cooler isn't bad although it's an air cooler at it is on max. during Prime 95 tests (small FFTs).

It looks like i can't go any further than i do now without touching the temps.. All other settings i. e. altering the GTL REFS, or changing any voltages of the NB, SB or even the VTT are useless IF i can't boot the system up anyway.  :(

Have i forgotten any possibility? I mean i start to think that i must be stupid when i hear so many people having no probs to reach 3.8GHz and upwards without temps. problems and some even have just slightly higher vcore settings or even the same?!?!

It sounds useless after reading endless pages concering GTL manipulation and altering voltages here and there when on my system obviously everything depends on Vcore  ???

Could anyone here give me a hint of what i am doing wrong or just tell me that i have reached the limit of my rig?

Conchi

I am in a kind of dilemma...

My current clock is @3.510 GHz. I have 1.339V for the core, my FSB is at 389 and my VTT @ 1.27V. GTL REF0 and REF1 @ auto as is the rest (NB, SB etc..)

When i try to increase my FSB only 1 notch (390) my system won't boot...

When i increase my Vcore 1 notch (1.3441) i boot and i can keep on going to increase my FSB BUT my temps. go to hell... literally..  like 72-76.. which is definitely too much for my taste.

So, to me it looks like i reached the limit eventually. My cooler isn't bad although it's an air cooler at it is on max. during Prime 95 tests (small FFTs).

It looks like i can't go any further than i do now without touching the temps.. All other settings i. e. altering the GTL REFS, or changing any voltages of the NB, SB or even the VTT are useless IF i can't boot the system up anyway.  :(

Have i forgotten any possibility? I mean i start to think that i must be stupid when i hear so many people having no probs to reach 3.8GHz and upwards without temps. problems and some even have just slightly higher vcore settings or even the same?!?!

It sounds useless after reading endless pages concering GTL manipulation and altering voltages here and there when on my system obviously everything depends on Vcore  ???

Could anyone here give me a hint of what i am doing wrong or just tell me that i have reached the limit of my rig?

Conchi

Higher FSB or core voltage will increase heat....is your CPU cooler proprely installed? What is the model of your CPU cooler.

72 > 76 C on you Q9650 at 1.339V ...these are the temp I get at 4.32GHz full load, idle at 38C.....something is not right, (dust, CPU cooler improprely installed, bad ventilation in your case).

I've got the one which you can see on the picture below TenBaldes name.

it's a Zalmann CNPS 9700 LED. During Priem 95 it's already running at max rpm (don't know how much it is but it's already noisy...).

Concerning the dust: Well, i've got dust filters on nearly every air intake of my case. I can't see a lot of dust inside my case and i some case fans inside. One in front which blows air from the outside into the case and one at the back of my case which transfers the warm air out of the case... Kind of a flow system, more or less.

I might have a look if my cpu cooler is not placed correctly but i think that's rather impossible. when my cpu was not overclocked i was able to reach 28 degrees celsius on idle.

Conchi

If you screw off the cooler, you´ll see if the paste is distributed evenly across the surfaces. Make sure both screws are turned equally. And make sure the ring you fasten the screws into is securely fastened to the mainboard.

Make sure there´s enough air venting through the whole case, otherwise the fan will just blow stale air over the heatsink, and the air will get hotter and hotter. I switched my Zalman ´cause I thought it just didn´t have enough in it for a proper oc. And the noise... Scythe Mugen 2 is one of the most silent on the market (hint hint  ;D )

B

I've got the one which you can see on the picture below TenBaldes name.

it's a Zalmann CNPS 9700 LED. During Priem 95 it's already running at max rpm (don't know how much it is but it's already noisy...).

Concerning the dust: Well, i've got dust filters on nearly every air intake of my case. I can't see a lot of dust inside my case and i some case fans inside. One in front which blows air from the outside into the case and one at the back of my case which transfers the warm air out of the case... Kind of a flow system, more or less.

I might have a look if my cpu cooler is not placed correctly but i think that's rather impossible. when my cpu was not overclocked i was able to reach 28 degrees celsius on idle.

Conchi

Hey! Conchi, can you post your full system spec. mobo, rams +++, and your bios......I may not be able to post back right away but I'll have a look at it.........I looked up your CPU cooler and it does seems to be a fairly good one so it is possible the cooler is not well placed on the CPU....idle temp will vary a lot from overclock temp.

Test your rig with OCCT.....Prime 95 is good but when will one stress is rig that much in regular use.....to me Prime 95 is for bragging right......(I ran Prime 95 for 24 hours.....and the point is?) ...nobody will push their rig that far in regular use.

Sooo.. here we go, currently that's my system without bios, will post that one later....:

Windows XP SP 3

Mobo: MSI P45D3 Platinum

Graphic: BFG GTX 285 OC2 1024MB

Soundcard: Creative X-Fi

CPU: Intel Quad 9650 @ 3510MHz

System Clock: 390

Multiplier: 9

FSB: 1560.4

Vcore: 1.339

Memory: 4x Corsair 1024MB DDR3 (PC3-8500F)

Speed: 533MHz (DDR3 1066MHz)

Memory timings: 6-6-618-24 at 457.1 @ 1.5volts

Memory timings: 7-7-7-20-27 at 533.3 @1.5 volts

Memory timings: 8-8-8-23-31 at 609.5 @1.5 volts

edit:

BIOS

Cell Menu:

Multi-step OC Booster: Disabled

D.O.T Control: Disabled

Intel E.I.S.T :Enabled

Intel C-State Tech: Disabled

Adjusted CPU FSB Frequency: 389

FSB/DRAM Ratio: 1:1.33

Adjusted DRAM Frenquency: 1037

Adjusted PCI Frequency: default

Auto Disable DRAM/PCI Frequency: Enabled

CPU Voltage : 1.3339

CPU GTL Ref0: auto

CPU GTL Ref1: auto

DRAM Voltage: auto

DDR_VREF_CA_A: auto

DDR_VREF_CA_B: auto

DDR_VREF_DA_A: auto

DDR_VREF_DA_B: auto

MCH Voltage: 1.100

MCH GTL: auto

VTT FSB voltage: 1.27

ICH Voltage: auto

that's it so far. Hope it helps you in one way or the other...

Conchi

Conchi, I am not expecting to much from your mobo but lets try.......run your ram at manuf. speed so if your rams are exp: (assuming you are running DDR3 ) Memory timing expert > 8-8-8-24 at 1.65v that's what have to be enter manually in bios,  FSB memory clock mode at unlink 1600MHz........if you are running DDR2 at 1066MHz do the same and enter everything manually

Now raise the FSB (QDR), MHz up a little (3.6 or more)

Raise the VTT FSB around 1.32 > 1.35 and let see if you can boot up

Gotta go.....let me know if you can boot up.

Conchi, I am not expecting to much from your mobo but lets try.......run your ram at manuf. speed so if your rams are exp: (assuming you are running DDR3 ) Memory timing expert > 8-8-8-24 at 1.65v that's what have to be enter manually in bios,  FSB memory clock mode at unlink 1600MHz........if you are running DDR2 at 1066MHz do the same and enter everything manually

Now raise the FSB (QDR), MHz up a little (3.6 or more)

Raise the VTT FSB around 1.32 > 1.35 and let see if you can boot up

Gotta go.....let me know if you can boot up.

Successfully booted up, huurrayy  ;D 

Well, alright, gotta test now a little, just raised the FSB 2 notches, not very much i know  :P

I'll let it do some stress testing with OCCT and see if everything runs fine.

I must admit i did not fully understand with what you mean by "unlink". I altered the memory timings to 8-8-8-24 but did not raise the voltage. Are you sure 1.65 are alright? it sounds a bit too much for me but i'm just am amateur..

i'll give you a report later on...

Until then, thanks already for your dedication and support!

Conchi

Conchi, it will say on your rams what is the timing, MHz and voltage.......exp: DDR2 1066 5-5-5-21 at 2.1v or DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24 at 1.65v

All rams are tested at their default voltage so it is not a matter of to much voltage....in your case it may be a matter of not enough voltage.

By the way use OCCT to stress test your stability not Prime 95.

Here look at my rams DDR3 2000MHz CL7 at 1.65v

Posted Image

ok, little report:

after testing with OCCT for 1h30mins. system still stable, no errors. Besides the rather ugly temps of around 75 degrees celsuis at 100% cpu load i felt quite alright.

Still had no time to look at the cooler as it's rather difficult to put it out and back in... gonna do that tomorrow if possible.

However, i tried another 2 notches to from 391 to 393 (FSB) and well... guess what happened. System did not boot up. Monitor kept black and later on switched to stand-by  ::)

Maybe the MCH Voltage is too low? it's at 1.100.  I raised the DRAM voltage to 1.55 but i don't think that my change currently anything.

Going back to 391 was no problem so... well... back at the beginning i guess  ???

Conchi

75 degrees is not a problem as such, there´s still about 25 degrees from upper limit. And stress testing is not representative of everyday use, so clock on! As long as you have your ram unlinked from cpu, any change that´s stable on the ram part should not inflict on your cpu cooking, hrmmm meant clocking  ;D

But if you want to have the ram running optimally, you should set the specified voltage manually, and you should be able to run stable at specified timings as well.

Clock on!  ;)

B

Conchi, you are not answering my question here, are you running the rams at manuf. specification and unlink???

I can't help you if I don't know.......so answer the question, are you running your rams at manuf. spec. and unlink?

Higher FSB will need more VTT FSB voltage, that is why I said raise it to 1.32 > 1.35v (min. at 1.3v) now if you want to reach 4.05GHz 1.35v is what you need, mine is at 1.4v and that is the max you can go on the 32mm.

Now do see if your cooler is setting right on the CPU and since you will take it off clean the CPU and the bottom ofthe cooler and replace the paste with a good one like this one here...  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007&cm_re=artic_5-_-35-100-007-_-Product

Sorry, i did not realize that. Yes, i have set the specifications manually. nothing on auto here. my RAM is currently at 8-8-8-24 and 1.55.

Btw. i read something in the internet that says the cpu with 45nm should not get more the VTT 1.35. is there any truth in it?

my VTT is currently at 1.32 but will raise it to 1.35 to see if it makes any difference.

@TenBalde:

25 degrees celsius away from upper limit? does that mean upper limit is at 100 degrees celsius?!?!

Conchi

Sorry, i did not realize that. Yes, i have set the specifications manually. nothing on auto here. my RAM is currently at 8-8-8-24 and 1.55.

Btw. i read something in the internet that says the cpu with 45nm should not get more the VTT 1.35. is there any truth in it?

my VTT is currently at 1.32 but will raise it to 1.35 to see if it makes any difference.

@TenBalde:

25 degrees celsius away from upper limit? does that mean upper limit is at 100 degrees celsius?!?!

Conchi

100C is wayyyy tomuch heat....you should not go over 75C.

I can't find your memory, I looked at newegg and corsair?? Give me a link to it, I need to see it.

Another think, you have 4 stick so it will be harder to overclock BUT it can be done....1.4v is the max on the VTT FSB for the 45 for 45nm.

Conchi, you raise VTT FSB voltage according to the FSB speed.......set it at 1.35v.

What is the GHz as of now?

When overclocking you have to change one thing and test it, you can't change 2 or 3 thing at the same time cause if you are not stable you will not know wich one is not right.

According to CPUZ my current clock is 3528.9 MHz. 

Bus Speed: 392.1

Multiplier: 9.0

Rated FSB: 1568.3

Btw. i raised the MCH Voltage to 1.208 volts and set the ICH from auto to 1.5volts.

I also read in the internet that i should disable Intel E.I.S.T. because it might cause instability for oced setups.

Concering my RAM. Well, that's kinda weird, because i can't find it neither... Maybe it's too old? Unfortunately i don't have the bills from where i bought them anymore.

Today i gonna check the CPU cooler, will have a look at the RAM modules as well, it might be written what exactly their names are.

As you also stated, i will set my VTT to exactly 1.35v.

Conchi

According to CPUZ my current clock is 3528.9 MHz. 

Bus Speed: 392.1

Multiplier: 9.0

Rated FSB: 1568.3

Btw. i raised the MCH Voltage to 1.208 volts and set the ICH from auto to 1.5volts.

I also read in the internet that i should disable Intel E.I.S.T. because it might cause instability for oced setups.

Concering my RAM. Well, that's kinda weird, because i can't find it neither... Maybe it's too old? Unfortunately i don't have the bills from where i bought them anymore.

Today i gonna check the CPU cooler, will have a look at the RAM modules as well, it might be written what exactly their names are.

As you also stated, i will set my VTT to exactly 1.35v.

Conchi

Look on the rams, I need the MHz timing and voltage.

With a VTT of 1.35v you will have enough FSB voltage for 4.05GHz you will need 1.40v for 4.20GHz  > BUT you will also have to raise the core voltage for 4.05GHz, temp. can't go over 75C period, over that you'r on your own....

Understand with 4 slot populated it will be harder to get a high overclock.......

Also understand this, after each change (what ever it is...raising v core voltage or fsb voltage or any voltage at all) you have tro stress test to see if it make a difference.....and on and on and on.....

So first of all, good news:

I had a look at the cpu cooler and for precaution i took it off, cleaned it from every dust (there was quite a lot in the centre) brushed the side which touched the cpu. I also cleaned the cpu and took off every rest of the thermal paste. Added new one very carefully and reinstalled the cpu cooler.

well... the results speak for themselves: from idle 41 and medium rpm it went down to 37-39 with low rpm  :D :D :D

Actually, during the cleaning i saw that the thermal paste was not really good proportioned. on some parts there was none and on some places it look like too much with holes where again no paste was applied.

So far concerning air temps. I should mention too that the room temps are around 25 degrees celsius...

Ok, let's head for the RAM. I coudn't find any information about my specific RAM, so during my affair with the cooler ;D i simply took two out and made a picture:

Posted Image

sorry for the quality, couldn't find my cam so i took the picture with my blackberry ::)

Hope it gives you a clue, as it doesn't for me....

for example: i thought i bought 1066MHZ RAM but on the sticks it states 1333???

And when i scan my whole system with SIW, the programm tells me the supported timings are like 6-6-6-18-24; 7-7-7-20-27 and 8-8-8-23-31 but on the sticks it's written 9-9-9-24 ?!?!

i am fully confused... besides, there is written 1.7volts??  the default setting in my bios was 1.5  ???

Erm...

Btw. i had some reboot problems when i disabled Intel E.I.S.T... enabled it again  :P

Conchi

Hawwwwwwg! no wonder why you'r having problems........hold on I'm reaching for a beer......sip.

Your ram are 1333MHz timing 9-9-9-24 at 1.7v..........hawwwwwg let me have another sip........ ;D

Your timing was to tight you were running them underclocked and not enough voltage.........no wonder why you could not boot up.......

1.5v on the rams is not enough juice......you HAVE to make the change in bios concerning your rams, forget about  SIW......

Now go to bios make all the change as stated on the rams no more no less..........and start all over again with OCCT.....let me know what is the temp.....raise your CPU to 3.6GHz +

Also if you can give me a link to your mobo.......NO surprise this time I don't "wanna" get drunk.......... ;D

Here you go, my mobo:

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1480&maincat_no=1

gonna make the changes meanwhile... 

Cheers

edit: i had some reboot problems after changing the RAM timings and volts. had to reboot 3 times until it booted up correctly. Hm, hope that was just a a bad mood of my computer...

OK after looking up your mobo.....these will be a lot better if you want to upgrade... better timing faster rams  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144421&Tpk=GU34GB1600C7DC  if you are running a 64-bit OS.

Gotta go for awile, keep meup to date.

I had those XMS ram from Corsair, like you Conchulio, and I overclocked them from 1333 to 1600 MHz on stock voltage at 9-9-9-24 timings. You could try that before you get new ram, but latencies are not great. But you can´t get much lower than Mushkin Redline with 6-8-6-24 timings  ;).

By the way, Alain. Had a techy drop by at my house, he was picking up my old mobo. I asked him how to achieve 4.2, and he said I´d never get there with only 750 Watt PSU, especially with a powerhungry GTX 285. Right at the welcome screen it hangs, and that´s where the power needs build-up. He recommended 1500 Watt. And since I just got my new Corsair psu and already spending a fortune on stuff for our new arrival in November, I´m throwing in the towel on the OC. And I can live with 4.05GHz. Thanks for all your help! Appreciate it!

B

I had those XMS ram from Corsair, like you Conchulio, and I overclocked them from 1333 to 1600 MHz on stock voltage at 9-9-9-24 timings. You could try that before you get new ram, but latencies are not great. But you can´t get much lower than Mushkin Redline with 6-8-6-24 timings  ;).

By the way, Alain. Had a techy drop by at my house, he was picking up my old mobo. I asked him how to achieve 4.2, and he said I´d never get there with only 750 Watt PSU, especially with a powerhungry GTX 285. Right at the welcome screen it hangs, and that´s where the power needs build-up. He recommended 1500 Watt. And since I just got my new Corsair psu and already spending a fortune on stuff for our new arrival in November, I´m throwing in the towel on the OC. And I can live with 4.05GHz. Thanks for all your help! Appreciate it!

B

4.20GHz you will need more power for sure.as for the rams..the one I sujjested were the one tested on Conchi's mobo but others may work also.

Board manufacturers are lazy, in my experience they only test a handfull. The ram manufacturers test them all, more or less. In this case however Mushkin only list a bunch of no-heatsink ram. Even for my board my current ram isn´t listed, and they work like a charm.

But they have great support at their forum http://forums.mushkin.com/phpbb2/index.php

http://forums.mushkin.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7567, a long, unofficial list of compatible boards.

But of course you´re safe guarded when the board manufacturer lists available ram (I couldn´t acquire any of the listed ram for my board  ::) )

B

EDIT: Oooops, only now saw the Corsair ram were only 2x1 gig each, mine were 2x2, and you´ll need more than 2x1.

Little report on my OC attempts:

Well.. not that good information:  during OCCT tests for 45 mins. my temps never got above 70-72 degrees celsuis, kept stable.

However, i was not able to raise the FSB from 392 to 398 WITHOUT raising the vcore from 1.3339 to 1.3441. Temps. are still ok, somehow the raise in vcore did not really affect my temps. at all, at least not during idle and during stress test they also did not go above 72 degrees celsuis.

Unfortunately, i was not able to go above 398 FSB. System did not boot up. My monitor just went from online to stand-by after some seconds and i hat to reboot... and reboot... and reboot... and reboot until the system said: "OC failed, go  back to default settings or change settings manually in bios?".

So, what does that mean? i thought when i raise the vcore i could raise the FSB more than just 4-6 notches??

Additionally, i don't really understand why i can't boot up. I thought an unstalbe system would firstly show up by creating errors during stress tests instead of not being able to reboot in the first place....

I never had errors during OCCT tests... but i can'T reboot when raising the FSB.  What exactly does that mean?  DRAM is now working EXACTLY as it should..

"sigh"

Conchi

I tried to OCCT test my PSU recently, besides getting a temperature warning for my gpu, and the test aborting, I found out, that my psu didn´t deliver enough voltage. Got my new Corsair psu, high quality, but just found out that 750W is not enough to oc to 4.20 GHz. ::) You could have a powe issue?!

B

I tried to OCCT test my PSU recently, besides getting a temperature warning for my gpu, and the test aborting, I found out, that my psu didn´t deliver enough voltage. Got my new Corsair psu, high quality, but just found out that 750W is not enough to oc to 4.20 GHz. ::) You could have a powe issue?!

B

Don't know yet if i have a power issue but i'm still far away from 4.2 GHZ  ;) Currently hanging around 3.6 GHz. 

Status report:

Raised the vcore to 1.341 and FSB is currently at 402  which makes a total of 3617.19 MHz for my CPU. 

Temps at idle haven't changed, gonna test the system now intensively with OCCT for an hour or so, keeping an eye on the temps.

Hopefully everything goes will...

Conchi

B

Don't know yet if i have a power issue but i'm still far away from 4.2 GHZ  ;) Currently hanging around 3.6 GHz. 

Status report:

Raised the vcore to 1.341 and FSB is currently at 402  which makes a total of 3617.19 MHz for my CPU. 

Temps at idle haven't changed, gonna test the system now intensively with OCCT for an hour or so, keeping an eye on the temps.

Conchi

Conchi, you may not be able to reach 4.2GHz cause of your CPU cooler......I don't know.....but 4.05GHz is a very good overclock already...good luck.

B

Status report:

Conchi

Conchi, you may not be able to reach 4.2GHz cause of your CPU cooler......I don't know.....but 4.05GHz is a very good overclock already...good luck.

I'm already happy IF i reach 4.0 GHz with my strange system  ::) ::)

Currently at 3654 MHz but my vcore already at 1.3645  >:( ... start to get worried how much space is still left for OCing...

It's like adding 2 notches of FSB and then being forced to add 1 notch of Vcore  >:(

At least the cpu has as of now never made an error on OCCT. Kept stable in that matter...

However, thanks a lot for your support!!

Now i know who to ask for any OC questions  ;D

Conchi

This is normal, everytime you raise the FSB you have to test for stability so if you reach a point where you get BSOD or you can't boot up you raise the core voltage a little again and if you can boot up you test for stability and if you can't pass OCCT stress test you raise the core voltage a little again.........or you adjust the lane.

You will be fine by raising the core voltage up to 1.4v 1.45v if you stay in the safe zone (green) with the temp not going up pass 75C. I've tested mine at 1.6v on the core but I had to get back to lower voltage cause my temp were to high on air.

So don't worry about voltage as much as the temp. Don't forget.....you can have FSB hole....that mean you may not be stable let say at 3.645GHz but be stable at 3.7GHz with the same voltage....CPU are funny like that.

So I think you get the basic and I am sure you will reach 4.05GHz with a lot of testing and patience....

I've been running my Q9650 for over a year now at 3.20GHz.....where is the degradation...can it happen....YES....but see... I'm changing my set up for the i7 so who care if my CPU lasted 2 >3 years...it's time to upgrade and if my i7 980x (990 if they become available soon) overclock at 4.5 V 4.6GHz (I hope) last only 2 > 3 years it will be time to upgrade again......

Currently, there are no new news, because i'm in Zurich for a week or two. Have something to do with the university and some other business.

One might say my computer has a break for now ;D  but not for too long  ;)

The last time i pushed it i had it stable at 3672 and it was stable.. OCCT test for 35 mins.

Temperatures where around 72-73.5 degrees.  Somehow they don't rise that much anymore. I remember they rised very quickly during the time where i had it around 3.4 - 3.5 GHz but for now, raising the FSB did not effect the temps. at all..  I should be happy about that  8)

When i fly back to Frankfurt i'll continue and report back but for now, i gonna eat some sweet schwitzerland chocolate  ;D

Cheers

Conchi

Currently, there are no new news, because i'm in Zurich for a week or two. Have something to do with the university and some other business.

One might say my computer has a break for now ;D  but not for too long  ;)

The last time i pushed it i had it stable at 3672 and it was stable.. OCCT test for 35 mins.

Temperatures where around 72-73.5 degrees.  Somehow they don't rise that much anymore. I remember they rised very quickly during the time where i had it around 3.4 - 3.5 GHz but for now, raising the FSB did not effect the temps. at all..  I should be happy about that  8)

When i fly back to Frankfurt i'll continue and report back but for now, i gonna eat some sweet schwitzerland chocolate  ;D

Cheers

Conchi

OCCT has to run for one hour every time you test the stability. Have a good time in Zurich.

Archived