Kimberley Touring - OZx Style #2

And here's my second OZx airfield exploration flight for today.

This time I'm heading off to YCLQ, Cape Leveque on the Dampier Peninsula, Northeast of Broome.  Flying the Cessna 172 this time, left the 152 at Mitchell Plateau for the time being  ;D

Posted Image

Taking off from Derby and heading straight out into King Sound.  Cu's forming up early today.

Posted Image

Flying along Mary Island, most of the rest of the trip is going to be over water... King Sound most of the way to the destination

Posted Image

Landfall on the Dampier Peninsula, near Lombadina.  Where that antenna is in the pic there should be a bloody great airstrip, guess noone's gotten around to that one yet  ;D

Posted Image

Flying along the wide golden stretch of Lombadina Beach.  In reality, this lovely beach is divided by a long lagoon which runs through the areas that look like wet sand in the pic.  It's a gorgeous spot.

Posted Image

That little slash of orange gravel is the Cape Leveque airstrip, that's where I'm gonna be landing.

Posted Image

Lined up on final, geez I'd better get the windex out and give the windscreen a clean.

Posted Image

Nice uphill runway... won't be needing any brakes here folks.  Ordinarily, final approach would be over the water and landing would be downhill...

Posted Image

Three point landing!  Hope the plane's owner doesn't mind all the stone chips...

Posted Image

Parked up right near the settlement.  What a nice touch the OZx guys made, modelling the lighthouse and all the boab trees!

Right, that's another one checked off my list.  More from the WA part of AU Green to come soon!

Cheers,

Derek

Archived