Kimberley Touring - OZx Style

G'day all,

Today I've been doing some more exploring in the Kimberleys, after whetting my appetite with the Purnululu tour I did earlier in the week.  I've decided to begin hunting down some of the awesome little airfields in the OZx freeware package, and this set represents the first of my flights off the beaten track so to speak.  First cab off the rank is YMIP, the airfield on the Mitchell Plateau - about 400km or so NW of my last flight touring Argyle-Purnululu.  I'm launching at Truscott Airbase YTST, (Mungalalu-Truscott) in the Cessna 152 and will be bearing SW on 215deg for the 50 or so miles to the plateau.  Like many of the OZx airfields, YMIP is not listed in FSX's database, so you gotta find it yourself.  I'll be setting camp up here for further exploration of the plateau later  ;)

Posted Image

Feet wet over Vansittart Bay immediately after takeoff, it's a beautiful day for flying

Posted Image

Not far from Kalumburu

Posted Image

Passing the Osborn Islands, and jumping over the Moon

Posted Image

Arriving Mitchell Plateau, after a very short search to find the airfield.  The airfield is bigger than I was expecting  :)

Posted Image

Doing my flyover before deciding on a runway to land on and circuiting

Posted Image

Entering final, all looks good from up here

Posted Image

Beginning flare, jeez she looks a bit rough from down here  :)

Posted Image

After a bumpy landing and taxi to the parking area, I found I was not alone!

Posted Image

Parking up and shutting down just on moonset.  There's the camping ground!

A very easy flight and a simple field to locate, I quite enjoyed that.  Can't stop though, I'm off to find another one!!

Cheers,

Derek

Archived