YSSY

Whitey015

I doubt it in the medium term at least.  I don't see how Orbx can develop such a complex airport like YSSY to a standard they would regard as acceptable that would run on current generation PCs (and possibly future generation) at reasonable fps -  at least when you throw in the 3rd party aircraft (LDS etc.) that you would want to use at such an airport.  We have a problem with FSX in that it only partially supports multi core processors but this is the route that is being taken (rather than faster clock speed) by the cpu manufacturers to higher performance.  Six cores may help a bit and the 470/480 generation GPUs also look promising but is another 50 -100% increase in clock speed that you really need and that ain't going to happen.  It seems we have reached the stage where we can have complex scenery or we can have complex aircraft but not both.

Bruceb

I doubt it in the medium term at least.  I don't see how Orbx can develop such a complex airport like YSSY to a standard they would regard as acceptable that would run on current generation PCs (and possibly future generation) at reasonable fps -  at least when you throw in the 3rd party aircraft (LDS etc.) that you would want to use at such an airport.  We have a problem with FSX in that it only partially supports multi core processors but this is the route that is being taken (rather than faster clock speed) by the cpu manufacturers to higher performance.  Six cores may help a bit and the 470/480 generation GPUs also look promising but is another 50 -100% increase in clock speed that you really need and that ain't going to happen.  It seems we have reached the stage where we can have complex scenery or we can have complex aircraft but not both.

Bruceb

nah you have to upgrade you computer lol. I will be doing that next year when I become a rich pilot as I spend all my money now on flying.

Just did Intel i7 960 and  I can't use YBBN with all options enabled and complex 3rd party aircraft (single digit fps -  bit better with OC)  need to dumb it down quite a bit to be flyable (same with YMML), so I would have no hope with an orbx YSSY.

Bruceb

Thanks for the reply, Pity Thought it maybe possible. Is there a area for what is coming soon or in the Future?

I to have issues with YBBN and lot of my 3rd party aircraft, but sure my Graphics Card is to blame for this thou YMML is work correctly with no issues will cont. to tinker.

Not happy with the Graphics cards avaliable will wait, surely new cards are on the Horizon and still stuck whether to go ATi or stick with Nividia.

If you listen to FSBreak podcast 61 in which a bunch of Orbx devs are interviewed, JV answers a question regarding Sydney. Sorry I can't be more specific but I can't quite remember what his answer was.

Mike

Isn't the 8800 GTS the fastest card you could get from the last generation? If it is, it should be able to get very respectable FPS (should be similar in performance to a 260 gtx but that's if I'm right in thinking that it is that beast old gen card)... mind you, yours and my definitions of respectable may differ... after using very slow computer for so long, I was happy to see double digit stuff let alone triple digit fps I now get over the ocean for example.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing a little checking and noticed that there's a CLS-YSSY product for sale at FSSS, but it seems that it was produced in 2008, the sample textures don't look too good plus the cost is $34AUD, maybe too expensive for the age of the product.  Has anyone tried it, is it worth it, or should I wait a few years for the Orbx version?

Tony

Archived