Overclock new system?

So I've been reading a lot of opinions on the subject and they vary.  Some people have great performance increases while some have very little.  From what I gather it can be rather risky to.  Thanks to some members help, I just built a the system below and for the most part performance is nothing like I've ever experienced before FS.  YBBN I'm surprised is very frame rate friendly.  I see people running their i7's at over 2.8 ghz and was wondering if it is worth it and what is the best way to go about it without ruining my new set up.  The set up is as follows:

i7-930 2.8GHz

ASUS P6X58D motherboard

GTX 480 video card

Cooler Master v8 120mm rifle CPU Cooler.

Thanks guys.

So I've been reading a lot of opinions on the subject and they vary.  Some people have great performance increases while some have very little.  From what I gather it can be rather risky to.  Thanks to some members help, I just built a the system below and for the most part performance is nothing like I've ever experienced before FS.  YBBN I'm surprised is very frame rate friendly.  I see people running their i7's at over 2.8 ghz and was wondering if it is worth it and what is the best way to go about it without ruining my new set up.  The set up is as follows:

i7-930 2.8GHz

ASUS P6X58D motherboard

GTX 480 video card

Cooler Master v8 120mm rifle CPU Cooler.

Thanks guys.

Welcome to the best of fantasyland! I trust you will really enjoy your new rig.  Perhaps your experience is different than mine, but after many years of flight simming I have not found that opinions on overclocking vary, at least from those who have done it. In fact I do not remember ever running into a fellow flight simmer who got into trouble by doing it. It is a safe and easy way to derive fabulous performance from today's machines, that really, if the truth be known, are designed and built by the manufacturers for that very purpose in mind. There are lots of experts around this neck of the woods that are well worth listening to and following their advice. Once you cross over to the light side of the force, you will never look back!  8)

An i7 930 teamed with a GTX 480 - that thing will fly. The best way to go about it is to Google i7 overclocking guides, there are plenty of them around. Ideally look for one where the guide has been done with the same or similar model motherboard as yours, as it should be the easiest to follow. But read a few guides so you get a number of perspectives from different people, and remember that each CPU is different, so don't expect the numbers other people use to work, you'll have to tweak them a little bit and it can only be done with trial and error.

Mike

Overclocking is easy if you know how, performance will increase, problems can happen, no 2 system will overclock the same but I have one golden rule about overclocking....here it is....if you can't afford to overclock DON"T.

Archived