AMD Processors

Adam

OK I was wondering if anyone has any of these or has a good idea how they will fare in FSX. :)

AMD Phenom II X2 555 3.2GHz Black edition:

Yes I know it's a dual core, but, I can overclock the heck out of this thing seeing as the multiplier is unlocked.

AMD ATHLON II X4 Quad Core 635, 2.90 GHz:

a nice quad core at 2.9 GHz but the multiplier is locked, so I can probably only push it to 3 GHz......, but it's a quad core.   

I know that there has been many a post on many a forum about duals against quads. One statement that a user said was ' fsx was made when dual cores were farely new and was programed with that in mind, thats why a patch was made for mutiple cores '. another was ' fsx is multi-core aware and more cores the better'. then there's ' the fastest cpu with the most cores you can get '.                                                                                                                                                                                                                      I used AMD when I first started this computer flying thing because I didnt know what the better was intel or amd.  I switched to intel because the nvidea cards ran better on them which were the fastest out of all the others like Ati. Now I'm back to Ati for awhile but I like the intels myself but If I were you go with the dual and overclock the ^%$# out of it. 

ps  I owned a intel core 2 duo e6750 and ovrclkd to3.6Ghz  on a p5nsli asus.  now I run a (see sig)  the core 2 duo ran fsx better than my i7 at stock 2.66Ghz  funnny eh? ;)

AMD 955 C3 ( the C3 is the latest version ) 3.2 Ghz have it running at 3.9 GHZ runs fine even on stock cooler but would suggest a heat pipe of sorts will drop temps significantly over stock

FPS wise how does it fare in fsx?

I run the 630 quad (2.8Ghz) at 3.2Ghz with out of box air cooling, has been stable never given a hiccup and temps are fine. Locked multiplier may be a problem but I upped the bus(?) multiplier to 228 and think I lucked out as memory (ddr2 800) etc didn't cause overclock failure at higher speed (anything over 228 causes overclock failure). So a 3.2 Ghz quad for around $119.

I run the 630 quad (2.8Ghz) at 3.2Ghz with out of box air cooling, has been stable never given a hiccup and temps are fine. Locked multiplier may be a problem but I upped the bus(?) multiplier to 228 and think I lucked out as memory (ddr2 800) etc didn't cause overclock failure at higher speed (anything over 228 causes overclock failure). So a 3.2 Ghz quad for around $119.

how does it fare in FSX mate, does it run well?

Does ok. Obviously not the same league as the i7s.  Before the 630 (x2 5000+) I would turn all clouds off and have autogen on normal. Now I run clouds and very dense for same FPS and it seems to have reduced micro stutters to almost unnoticable (but still there).  In my test flight from Ylil to Moorabin (good mix of country and suburbia) I generally get max 40-45 down to 20 - 25 in heavy autogen area. YBBN still a problem (9-14 with most candy off and some long pauses while loading). This is in Asus M2N68+ MB.

Guest AS355F

Anybody out there using the new AMD Phenom X6 - six cores?  That's what I am starting to investigate.  Combine that with an ATI 5870 for Eyefinity use.

Yep check my sig.

IT FLIES.  ;D

Adam It's probably better to tell us how much you would spend, then we can better advise. Generally more cores the better. The 1055T six core at <$200 is a steal. But it depends if the budget will stretch that far.

Due to recent changes in the wafers used, the 6 cores (E0 stepping) overclock far better than anything else.

Anybody out there using the new AMD Phenom X6 - six cores?  That's what I am starting to investigate.  Combine that with an ATI 5870 for Eyefinity use.

Yep check my sig.

IT FLIES.  ;D

Adam It's probably better to tell us how much you would spend, then we can better advise. Generally more cores the better. The 1055T six core at <$200 is a steal. But it depends if the budget will stretch that far.

Due to recent changes in the wafers used, the 6 cores (E0 stepping) overclock far better than anything else.

The 965will cost me $219, so I am willing to spend around that much.

Archived