Help with a disk partition error when re-installing Windows

steve31000

Yesterday after having major fps problems with FSX, I reinstalled windows 7 formating my hard drive to start fresh. However I made an error and allocated only 10gb to partition 'Drive C' for holding system files. I have only realised this now after re-installing FSX plus lots of add-ons which took me hours.

I tried using the disk partitioner included in windows 7 but it won't let me extend a volume which holds system files. Is there anything else anyone can recommend doing without reinstalling again?

Is it possible to reinstall windows and partition a greater space but not delete the drive I exclusively partitioned for FSX and then to use that drive with my FSX data still on it in the new install?

Any help with this would be much appreciated. If I have to reinstall everything again, I guess I'll bite the bullet and do it but if I can avoid this it would be great.

Cheers

Steve

I allocated 20 gb, and I temporarily ran into trouble like yours. And my search took me around numerous programs, you can try and seek them out. As far as I remember only pay-ware programs seemed to promise what I sought, as far as I recall, and I just manage without.

But for you. Either find software or purchase new harddrive that you will dedicate for FSX if you can clone your installation to that drive. Format partition with fsx on "old" drive, install win 7 on that (read about how to dual boot). If that new installation can connect with your cloned FSX etc. on dedicated harddrive (is that possible, anyone??!), now delete 10gb partition with old Win 7 install on it.

Now I´m mostly theorizing, I´ve never tried a swap around like that.

Bjorn

OK first off is it still running and bootable ?

Reason ! Simple if it is still usable then the "C:\" can be Imaged to a small SSD say and then the original 10Gb area allocated to you user profile or documents.

This way you existing installation will remain intact.

W 7 will require Akronis as I don't think GHOST is W7 compatible as yet.

Thanks guys. Tenblade - I have searched programs but all are payware and to be honest I'd rather just reinstall than fork out £25. Some programs had demos but they stopped at the point of actually partioning your drive which makes them rather useless.

Maurice - It is still bootable. Youtube videos stop playing halfway through as they run out of free temporary space but everything else still works. I think rather than having to spend more money on paying ssd's extra I will go with a full reinstall tomorrow though I appreciate the advise. Any ideas on how many gigabytes I should allocate to "C:/" when I reinstall? I will certainly be more generous than 10 - maybe 50gb?

Cheers

Steve

I´m at 20, and just managing by not saving downloads etc. to that partition. So if I could, I´d be generous and make it 30, while still saving documents, downloads etc. on other partition. 50 should be more than enough, I´d say.

OK if your going to make a complete reinstall, then I'd suggest that you make the "C:\" around 20-25 Gb and Immediately after installing edit your registry and make sure the Temp Directory is NOT on "C:\" but some different Drive allocation, same goes for your profile because if this is not on your Windows Boot Drive you won't loose data and settings if you have "C:\" fail.

Get your self Akronis and weekly make a backup of your Boot Drive .

• 2 weeks later...

I imaged a 200gb drive with Acronis to upgrade to 1.5Tb and due to a bug with Acronis could only clone to a 200gb partition, resulting in a 200gb partition and the rest of the drive unassigned. I found Easeus Partition Manager (google it), a freeware program. It allowed me to drag a slider to expand the C: partition to maximum available space without data loss. After the operation I rebooted and everything has been perfect, never a problem with Windows (xp) or any other installed software. A true, free, partition manager "on the fly" that delivers what it promises.

Archived