FSX Netherlands photoreal scenery available (at last) for free! (NL2000 v4)

hendrik

Hi all

Last June Hanks and I (both Netherlands ex-pats) discussed the available options for Netherlands scenery - there was only FS9 stufff basically; Aerosoft's and the (free) option from the NL200 team. (Aerosoft, or possibly Horizon) reboxed it and called it FSX scenery, but it was the FS9 product with an FSX installer! I was nearly conned into buying the same product twice!

At last (after more than 2 years development) native FSX scenery is finally available from NL2000 - its huge; 32Gb in total, photoreal scenery and a bunch of airports. The airports are mirrored at Avsim, but the photoreal scenery files are 1 - 4Gb each (12 in total I think) and (were) only available on torrent links (10 - 30kb/s anyone?). After some badgering they are now available from an ftp server (I get around 150 - 200kb/s)

For those interested (and I know photoreal isn't to everybody's taste!) here are the links:

http://www.nl-2000.com/nuke/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=247

ftp links: ftp://forumspellen.nl/

Regards - Hendrik

It's great that they decided to make it a module-based scenery, since I and perhaps many others have more interest in the airports and perhaps one or two of the photoreal districts than having the entire country.

Guest J van E

It's great that they decided to make it a module-based scenery, since I and perhaps many others have more interest in the airports and perhaps one or two of the photoreal districts than having the entire country.

Don't forget that The Netherlands is not even half the size of Tazmania... so compared to a single region of FTX AU, the Netherlands is VERY small...! And obviously a photoreal disctrict (there are 12 of them) is even smaller...! I also think the airports are made to fit into the photoreal scenery (just like Orbx airports fit into FTX).

Still, it is indeed nice to have options!

I will download the scenery because I live in the Netherlands, but I already looked at some screenies and as usual with photoreal stuff it looks very odd. And flat (and by that I don't mean the country itself (which IS flat) but cities and so on: the autogen, which really sticks out, makes it all even more obvious). However, for a FREE addon is looks absolutely great of course!

Don't forget that The Netherlands is not even half the size of Tazmania... so compared to a single region of FTX AU, the Netherlands is VERY small...! And obviously a photoreal disctrict (there are 12 of them) is even smaller...! I also think the airports are made to fit into the photoreal scenery (just like Orbx airports fit into FTX).

Still, it is indeed nice to have options!

I will download the scenery because I live in the Netherlands, but I already looked at some screenies and as usual with photoreal stuff it looks very odd. And flat (and by that I don't mean the country itself (which IS flat) but cities and so on: the autogen, which really sticks out, makes it all even more obvious). However, for a FREE addon is looks absolutely great of course!

I agree with you J Van E that the country is very small, but 32GB is a massive download if you were to download each and every part of the scenery! :)

I am most interested in their rendition of Schipol, I can't wait for them to release that!

Guest J van E

I downloaded the scenery (thanks for the awesome ftp-link, hendrik!!!) and although it is nice to be able to fly above my home country and actually recognize things (from 5 years ago, but well... ;D ), it can't compete with something like PNW... When I fly above PNW I really have the idea I am actually flying above the Pacific Northwest, but when I fly above NL2004 I have the idea I am flying above scans... Everything looks so FLAT and odd (unless you accidently fly in the 'right direction'). Still, it IS a great freebie of course...! But my REAL FSX-home country will still be PNW. ;)

Finished dloading the scenery yesterday, and of course it can't hold a candle to FTX - but hey it's free! I paid for Horizon UK Photoreal (£90 or thereabouts) before I discovered FTX and now spend most of my time flying in Oz or PNW!

For me flying Netherlands is a nostalgia trip - I flew above Alphen a/d Rijn (my birthplace 1947, left when I was 3) and spotted the bridge where my father saw his friend in the Dutch resistance killed on the last day of WWII - its now named after his friend. Like a recent poster on the NL2000 forum who is also reviving memories , brought a tear to my eye.....

Hendrik

Archived