Help Needed re my motherboard EP43-DS3

flyguy737

ok so I have a Gigabyte MB EP43-DS3 and I was told it doesn't take more then 4gig RAM, well I took a chance tonight and threw in the spare 2 gig that I had originally with the board and low and behold I have 6 gig RAM showing under win7. FSX running fine and an improvement in FPS.

So how much RAM can my board take? I was looking at a new MB to take more ram but it seems I might not need to?

any help here would be good.

Colin

Found this @ http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/ecs_amp_gigabyte_motherboards_intel_p45_and_p43/

System memory

- Four 240-pin slots for DDR2 SDRAM DIMM;

- Maximum memory capacity 16 GB;

- Supported memory DDR2 667/800/1066/1200*;

- Dual-channel memory access;

- Power indicator;

So it seems you can cram as much ram into it until you´re out of money  :D But the board is said to have a narrow compatibility range what ram is concerned. But you seem to have hit the spot!

Also, FSX has restrictions on how much ram will be utilized, and I think it´s about 4 gigz.

Bjorn

yeah i found that info too but what I don't understand is types of memory and what is the best memory i should get. I have kingston Ram at this time but I was told it was PC8500 when I bought it and it says that on the box however CPUz says it is PC2-6400??? also report with this util is 400 Mhz but I want 1066 ???

I don't understand memory modules anymore can someone help me here get the right memory for my board and explain what all this PC stuff means?

Can you list the model name on your ram and the model name on the box?! The model name will also show in cpu-z under SPD.

CPU-Z saying 400 MHZ is another way of telling you it´s 800 MHz, CPU-Z divides by 2 to outsmart the enemy. But with PC-6400 your max is 800 MHz. CPU-Z is probably not wrong about your ram. And if they were sold to you in a box saying PC-8500 then you´ve been had.

Kingstons list of compatible ram does not exceed PC-6400 http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=48014&mfr=Gigabyte&model=GA&search_type=&root=us&LinkBack=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kingston.com&Sys=48014-Gigabyte-GA-EP43-DS3+Motherboard&distributor=0&submit1=Search

So in essence, if you want 1066 you should probably look out for a different brand. If you have the manual for your board it should also direct you to compatible brands and types.

Thanks Tenblade I figured the guy was stupid or the box was wrong. I don't know if I still got the box however the 2 Gig modules part number is 2G-UDIMM and the 1 Gig modules are KTC1G-UDIMM

My MB specs according to the website is

4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory

Dual channel memory architecture

Support for DDR2 1200+/1066/800/667 MHz memory modules  - what does this mean? should I get 1200+ memory? All I want is the best memory for my system :)

Posted Image

Thanks Tenblade I figured the guy was stupid or the box was wrong. I don't know if I still got the box however the 2 Gig modules part number is 2G-UDIMM and the 1 Gig modules are KTC1G-UDIMM

My MB specs according to the website is

4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory

Dual channel memory architecture

Support for DDR2 1200+/1066/800/667 MHz memory modules  - what does this mean? should I get 1200+ memory? All I want is the best memory for my system :)

Posted Image

The 1200+/1600 etc. are the supported frequencies. At the moment you seem to be running 800 MHz, but if you overclock your processor you should match one of the mentioned ram frequencies, and judging by the + they probably warrant higher clock frequencies, but there are no guarantees.

Could you post some screenies of cpu-z showing the remaining slots, there´s a drop menu top left where you can switch slots.

Bjorn

Archived