New System

clarky

After loving YBBN but unable to enjoy it with anything turned above low settings, I have decided to get a new computer system this week.  With a budget of around $3000 (but happy to go higher), I have arrived at the following specs.  Would love any comments from anyone and any suggestions on what might make it better for FSX as this is a purely gaming computer with tuning for FSX more in mind.

CPU:              Intel i7 960 (3.2GHz) - intention is to overclock as close to 4GHz as possible

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5

RAM:              Kingston 6GB DDR3 (2000MHz)

Power:            Apevia 750W (Has a blue light, goes with the case!!)

Cooling:          Corsair Hyrdro Series (water)

Video:            Gigabyte HD5870 Overclocked Edition

Hard Drives:  160GB SATA (Operating System, Page File, Programs)

500GB SATA (Games Only)

300GB Velociraptor 10000rpm (FSX Only)

Monitor:          LG 23" Widescreen

Optical:          LG Bluray

The quoted price was a touch under $3200 including delivery.

The other question I have is I am considering water cooling to get the maximum overclock possible from the i7.  I have an ANTEC 1200 series case with heaps of fans so I'm not concerned about airflow.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.  I am looking forward to having a beast like this sometime next week hopefully (have a week off work just to play).

I did a bit of number crunching using http://staticice.com.au

$ 659  i7 960 (IT Estate, NSW)

$ 320  X58A-UD5 (CCPU Computers, NSW)

$ 227  Kingston 6GB 2000mhz CL9 (Penta Computers, NSW)

$ 142.95  Apevia 750W  (MegaBuy Technology Superstore, QLD)

$ 115  Corsair Hydro H50 (Mwave Australia, NSW)

$ 620  Gigabyte ATI 5870 Super Overclocked (HB Outlet, NSW)

$ 35  Western Digital 160GB HDD (PC Maniacs, VIC)

$ 55  Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB HDD (PCDIY, NSW/VIC)

$ 249  Western Digtial Velociraptor 300GB HDD (PC Case Gear, VIC)

$ 208  LG 23" 1080p LCD Monitor (Excel Computers, NSW)

$ 149 LG CH08LS10 DVD RW Blu-ray ROM (Computer Alliance, QLD)

$ 205  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit OEM (ARC Computers, NSW)

TOTAL: $2985

TOTAL Component Price: $2572

TOTAL with Approximated Delivery costs[$15 per item]: $3165

Overall looks like u've gota pretty good deal, I would recommend a Push Pull fan setup with the Corsair H50, the basic gist is that with the original setup you have a single fan in taking cool air from the outside of the case and dissipates the heat from the radiator so [AIR]->PUSH/FAN-> |RAD|->->[HOT AIR], with a Push Pull its [AIR]->PUSH/FAN-> |RAD|->/PULL/FAN->[HOT AIR]. Having a Push Pull fan config can massively decrease your cpu temperature. Push Pull fan setup with an i7 870 http://blog.corsair.com/?p=987

Thanks for that.  The reason I was looking at the ATI 5870 was for eyefinity.  My goal is to expand to 3 monitors eventually (when the funds are there again) and make FSX really immersive!  I am also going to do that push/pull fan config which would mean the case has 3 fans sucking air in (1 at the back push/pull, 2 at the hard drive area) and then one pushing it out at the top.  I might also add a side fan noting the video card is going to generate a bit of heat and the case is going to be very crowded.

This is going to be my first real gaming computer so it will be kinda fun to setup and fiddle with especially the overclocking part (which I will do in small steps).

Archived