Central Crashes Installing TE SoCal

Your Central log file provides us important information, please attach it to your support requests. You can find it at the following locations, or by pressing Control + Shift + L.

• Windows: %APPDATA%/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/Orbx/Central/central.log

You can delete this box/quote once your log is attached

Operating system:  Windows 10

Simulator:  X-Plane 11

Screenshot:  

Issue:  Trying to install TE SoCal Central crashes and locks up my computer. Using version 4.1.9

central.log

Guest Josh Koz

Hi @TPerson

The log provided has no output past the 'mapping files to chunks' stage which is before any CPU intensive installation processes begins.

At what point in the installation does the installation crash? Does this occur every time you attempt the installation?

I'm not sure how to respond to your question.  I immediately uploaded the log following the crash and after the forced computer reboot.

Ever since purchasing TE SoCal every time I try to install the scenery, Central will crash at a different point in the install.  The first time it downloaded 53GB but never started the expanding and conversion process.  After closing Central and restarting, it still wouldn't start the expanding and conversion.  I've tried deleting the temp files, moving the install location to a different drive with similar results each time.  I did have luck twice where Central downloaded the files and processed them at the same time but eventually it simply just stopped and crashed at some point.  I've tried to install TE SoCal multiple times with some sort of failure each time.  At one point Central was totally out of whack as I had changed the Temp and Library folders to new locations but no matter what I did Central was still trying to automatically resume the unfinished download to my old Temp and Library locations!  And I was not able to cancel the download as the progress window was stuck Cancelling.

At that point I uninstalled Central, removed all traces of the program that I could find and then I tried to re-install and the installer failed. (As stated in my other support post)  As I stated in that post I was able to restore Central from the Recycle Bin and then I tried to install TE SoCal again.  It downloaded 38GB, expanded 1699 files, and converted 1400 (approximate numbers as I don't remember the exact numbers) and then stopped completely.  It wasn't downloading, converting, or anything as the program crashed and fully locked up my system.

You have the log file from right after I rebooted.

Todd

Guest Josh Koz
3 hours ago, TPerson said:

I had changed the Temp and Library folders to new locations but no matter what I did Central was still trying to automatically resume the unfinished download to my old Temp and Library locations!  And I was not able to cancel the download as the progress window was stuck Cancelling.

These settings will only affect new downloads, any downloads that have already started won't be affected. If you completely stop Orbx Central and delete the %temp%\Orbx\job-cache.json file, this will clear any stuck jobs.

3 hours ago, TPerson said:

It wasn't downloading, converting, or anything as the program crashed and fully locked up my system.

We've only seen this occur on PCs with an unstable overclock. If using the latest version of Orbx Central in the fastlane, you can try the following:

• Completely close Orbx Central. Ensure it's not running in the system tray.
  • Delete the %temp%\Orbx\job-cache.json file
  • Start Orbx Central and head to Settings -> Downloader
  • Change the Concurrency option to Hard Disk Drive and change the Conversions option to 'Low.
  • Reattempt an installation.

No overclock on my system and definitely a stable system.  I had the Conversions option at "Moderate" and the Concurrency set to "Hard Disk Drive".

I did not Opt-in to fastlane yet my 4.1.7 installer installed or updated to 4.1.9.

I will try to install again and report back when I have time.

Todd

Archived