In the mood

Guest J van E

great pics J.

I especially like the second one.  and also the last one.

It seems to me that in order to get more 'sunshine' out of FSX, youhave to increase the indirect lighting.  But the downside of that

is that it makes shadows and undersides of clouds not as dark.  You either have brightness everywhere or darkness everywhere.

For some weird reason, it seems to me anyway...the shadow pixel in the sky textures has more of an effect than the sunlight 'direct lighting' pixel.  It definitely seems like ACES intended to implement something more (like HDR) and then didnt and that is probably why we dont have better sunshine in FSX.  I wonder if that increased lighting effect drains more enrgy from the power supply and casues problems for some people.

I think ive found some colors that produce a nice illusion of sunshine.  Im using a beige shadow and a blue green sun.  It sounds weird but it really highlights just about everything. It unfortunately also produces beige snow...but you cant have everything...where would you put it? :)

Guest J van E

I think the sun also doesn't shine because the colors are often rather dull. They are realistic, which is nice (I don't want cartoonish colors) but even with a blue sky for instance the trees look like they are in the shadows all the time: they should be light and bright on one side and darker and dull on the other. I don't think we will see real sunlight in FS until the computers are strong enough to create detailed shadows on for instance trees, taking into account all branches and so on.  8) Don't get me wrong: the PNW trees are the best trees ever, but when you look at my pics or any other screenshot) you can see the colors are dull... (Maybe dull is the wrong word and maybe it sounds too negative, but English is not my native language and I don't know a better word for it. ;) )

Archived