Flying the Fortress

Some impressions from my first proper A-B flight with the B-17. Even the landing was good. One crew member asked wether we've landed yet after the landing. Fantastic aircraft! Starting engines was never that much fun. It's almost better than the flying itself.  ;D

By the way, does anyone know why the #3 engine is called Ronnie on this bird? I mean, I know that the #3 engine is used to supply some systems on the B-17, but that isn't necessarily a reason to name it. Maybe there is more to it?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It looks freakin beautiful - GREAT shots    . I went to download and it came down at  7 kbs ,  so I stopped that and hit another d/l and the same thing again7 kb's  .....phoned up the isp and  all the phone lines had the engaged sound . ...wtf  ;D  anyway, a couple of hrs later everything sprang back . Im off for my first flight now.... :D

Guest Northwest Pilot

Great shots! I can't wait to see one of your vids featuring this bird. I know you are planning something special.  ;)

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to start and warm up from cold and dark?

Thank you!

Great shots! I can't wait to see one of your vids featuring this bird. I know you are planning something special.  ;)

I'm sure I am, even though I don't know it yet myself.  ;D

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to start and warm up from cold and dark?

I just timed it. At an outside temperature of 5°C, without hurrying too much and without skipping any required steps (battery check etc.):

5:25 until all four engines were running

7:42 until all temperatures were in the green zone with the engineer reporting that she's warmed up and ready to go (at 2,000 RPM runup setting)

Guest Northwest Pilot

I just timed it. At an outside temperature of 5°C, without hurrying too much and without skipping any required steps (battery check etc.):

5:25 until all four engines were running

7:42 until all temperatures where in the green zone with the engineer reporting that she's warmed up and ready to go (at 2,000 RPM runup setting)

Interesting, and thanks! Look forward to the future vid.  ;D

Very nice shots.  Don't know about Ronnie.  But it reminded me of a story my Dad told me.  When he and his crew were preping for the flight to England early in 1944 they were going to put some nose art on their B-17.  But they were told that when they got the nice shiny factory fresh bomber to England it would be painted with some color of flat finish paint and the work they paid for would be gone.  So they didn't.  What they were not told was that upon landing in Norfolk, the plane was assigned to another crew and they got an "experienced" B-17.  Needless to say they were not impressed.  Well they were impressed just not favorably.  Still the old Fort got them all through 35 missions and they came home on a ship in '45.  Which is why I am here to remember.  Thanks Dad! RIP.

Archived