Advice for Track Ir purchase

wade583

Hey everyone.. I was just after a bit of advice for this purchase.. Basically I am looking at the Track IR 4 (money is tight and I figure the IR 5 isn't a substantial improvement above the IR 4 to warrant an extra $80 to $100 or so).

I was just going to get the standard one with the clip that goes on a hat. This is the one with reflectors. I don't use a headset at all so to use the extra Pro clip with its infrared receivers might be a waste of money.

So my question is: Is the standard unit good enough or do people recommend the upgraded Pro clip accessory that clips onto headset etc?

Wade

Basically I am looking at the Track IR 4 (money is tight and I figure the IR 5 isn't a substantial improvement above the IR 4 to warrant an extra $80 to $100 or so).

OK Use the IR5 Software with the track IR4 better software.

I was just going to get the standard one with the clip that goes on a hat. This is the one with reflectors. I don't use a headset at all so to use the extra Pro clip with its infrared receivers might be a waste of money.

They are IR LEDS that transmit IR light to the camera , but you can do this by making your own track clip.

So my question is: Is the standard unit good enough or do people recommend the upgraded Pro clip accessory that clips onto headset etc?

Buy  a Track IR4  use Track IR5 Software make a Track Clip your self , cheaper and the best of both worlds.

See below

Crikey  get yourself 3 IR Diodes from your local Dick Smith or Jaycar outlet, canabalise a USB lead and Verify with a multi meter the voltage which should be 5 V DC  this is across Pin 1 5V+ and Pin 4 Ground

Posted Image

Be VERY Careful as the average USB Port will only supply 500Ma which is whay I always use a powered USB Hub to run my Yoke etc.

The Diodes I used are from Jaycar CAT. NO. ZD1946 Posted Image and these are placed in series with a 5 K resistor to reduce the forward current see diagram, Posted Image.

Then mounting these on soft wire in roughly the same arrangement as the Track clip Pro. MAKE sure you select the Track clip option in the tracking software.

Bingo you now have a low cost Track IR5 .

NOTE :-  If attempting this project you might like to start with a 10 or 15K resistor in place of the 5 and drop down as needed  NEVER have less than 2-5 K in series anyway as this could overload the USB port

Also you WILL NOT see any light as these are Infra Red but if you have a Web Cam they will show there and of course in the Track IR panel , so you can vary the brightness by changing the resistance and there by the accuracy of tracking.

Archived