Memory Load with X-Plane + Orbx TEGB

I've been using TEGB and airfields since the launch last year, and thoroughly enjoying the products.

I've just started to try to 'tune' my system and found that using Process Lasso the Memory Load jumps from about 50% to about 85% when I'm using TEGB scenery. Is this to be expected?

I'm still encountering a few stuttering moments when I flow rotary at low level in the UK airspace, which is what has caused me to check how well my system is coping.

My set up is:

X-Plane 11.34
Intel Core i7-8700K @ 3.7GHz; ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero; HyperX Predator DDR4 16GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080Ti with 11GB VRAM
2 x Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 4TB HDD
ASUS VP278H & VP228HE
Logitech G X56 Rhino Joystick and Throttles, and Rudder Pedals
Oculus Rift and Touch Controllers
Windows 10 Home

X-Plane and scenery is installed on the Seagate Barracuda drive.

I've attached my scenery_packs file, where I think I've got the products in the correct order. I've also attached my log.txt file in case that reveals any issues.

I'm going to install another 16GB of RAM to see if I get more headroom!

Grateful for any constructive (!) observations ...

scenery_packs.ini Log.txt

I'm very interested in this also. I have a strong system and run at 4k 30hz vsync on. This results in perfectly smooth frames almost all the time I fly. Over Orbx TE regions I can get some tiny microstutters whenever I am banking. I've been wondering if the 16GB RAM is the issue.

I've noted that in task manager I can have up to 30GB commited memory during flying over True Earth regions (I run with maximum objects and textures at either high or maximum depending on the region. All this at 4K with antialiasing. I use a 65" screen for X-Plane and P3D so even at 4K, antialiasing is a must, even if it does use more vram).

However, I also noted that my cpu time per frame over TE regions tends to be around 0.300 and the micro stutters start to appear and then increase in frequency once this reaches 0.310 to 0.320 (as you are starting to get close to the point where the CPU cannot maintain above 30fps). Dropping the objects to High gives some headroom and the cpu drops to 0.250 to 0.300. But I still wonder if more RAM would prevent less page file swapping and free up CPU cycles. Even though my page file is on a 970 EVO with 3.5GB/s transfer speed, that's still going to be slower than reading data straight from RAM.

Now this is the weird bit. When I first load up into the cockpit and the last of the TE data is still loading in from disk, I can take off and the sim is absolutely smooth with not a single micro stutter in sight. It's only after ALL data has stopped loading that the micro stutter then starts to show. That's making me suspect that they are related to data transferring between paged data written to disk and RAM after X-Plane has loaded all data into virtual memory?

Regarding Process Lasso, I'd just expect the increase in RAM  usage was simply down Process Lasso making the best use of the available hardware, ie. doing what it is meant to and optimizing your system. I have 32GB of RAM, but just with standard windows and my system happily exceeds 16GB with TE GB, regularly getting up to 18 - 19GB.

It will be interesting to see what Process Lasso does with the extra 16GB when you fit it.

UPDATE: I added an extra 16GB today, bringing the total to 32GB.

What a dramatic improvement in performance!

Flew a day into night 40 minute VFR flight from EGFF to EGHI at 2-3000ft using VR throughout over TEGB and with Orbx airfields at either end using the Bombardier Challenger 300. I would never have contemplated trying this with only 16GB because it would have frozen on me. And I can now see why: taking peak views at Process Lasso thoughout the flight I could see that 32GB RAM was running steadily at up to 52%, which would have been too demanding, I suspect, for 16GB. I also felt that the visual presentation in the Rift headset was much higher quality.

I'm looking forward to trying rotary and other GA aircraft in the coming days ...

Archived