Thank you for your help, purchased my new system, soon to be flying FTX!

Guest markabcan

Guest markabcan

Hi all,

I just wanted to say thanks to all those that gave me advice and provided help with the specs of my new build FSX/FTX computer.  As always there were a couple of compromises as these things can get bloody expensive but I'm very excited about the performance possibilities of my new rig.  The final specs are as follows:

-Intel Core i7 960 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 3.2GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S

-Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V H.D.T. 3HEATPIPES Heatsink LGA 1366 775 AM2 754 939 940 W/120MM PWM Fan

-ASRock X58 Extreme ATX LGA1366 DDR3 4PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 Quad CrossFireX Quad SLI Eup Ready Motherboard

-Patriot Extreme Viper PVT36G1600LLK 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit

-XFX GeForce GTX 285 648MHZ 1GB 2.48GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP Video Card

-Lancool PC-K62 Black ATX Advanced Mid Tower Case 5X5.25 4X3.5INT No PS USB Audio

-Silverstone Strider 750 Plus 750W Modular Power Supply ATX 24PIN 135mm Fan 60A 80+ Silver Black

-Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM

-Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 32MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive

-Samsung SH-S223C 22X DVD Writer SATA Black

-HT Omega Striker 7.1 Channel PCI Sound Card 24BIT DTS Dolby Digital Live S/PDIF IN/OUT Coaxial

I will be eagerly waiting for the delivery person at my office!  Thanks again and I look forward to contributing to this online community.

Mark

Guest markabcan

May I ask, how did you get on with running FSX on this system... any good?

I'm looking to build a new box for FSX and this spec seems around my price range.

//Revenant

Hi Revenant,

I won't have everything set up and FSX optimized until late next week at the earliest, I will definitely provide an update regarding the performance.  From my research I get the impression that FSX will run very nice and smooth with my rig but you never know until you see it with your own eyes!

Mark

Guest markabcan

Yes, I will be interested to hear the results as well, because a new mobo, processor and RAM is shortly in my future as well.

Will you be OC'ing that processor using just air at all?

I'll definitely be doing some overclocking, not going to push it as far as some others have.  After looking at the recommended overclocking steps for the i7 960 I figure I'll start with 3.57GHz and then move up to 3.75GHz.  Both these are considered quite safe and should be well within the abilities of my air cooling unit.  If the cpu is still stable and temps are ok I could always try to push it up to 3.89GHz or 4.00GHz but pushing it that far is unlikely, especially with my limited knowledge.

Mark

Archived