PNW: a trip to 5S0? and beyond

sightseer

These are from a flight I took that started at Newport and I was going to go to

KMMV but I changed my mind and headed south towards Eugene and then

I turned and followed a river to 5S0 ( I think).  and then it was so pretty that

I had to take the trike out and get up close and personal with the land.

I just love the way the trees and the land just drops out from under you sometimes.

reminds me of a movie I saw as a kid called 'To Fly'

Posted Image

Posted Image

Even a little out of the way airport has nice touches

Posted Image

Posted Image

in the trike headed north across the land

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey great pics sightseer! That's Oakridge/Westfir for sure. I lived there for two years. That's Westfir in the picture behind the runway to the north. Westfir has the longest covered bridge in Oregon. I can remember going to a garage sale at a house on the east end of that runway lol (actually it was exactly where that house is shown in the pic). I started my flights here at this airport too. It looks like you took the ultralight up to High Prairie. High Prairie is known for their giant herd of elk that roam out in the open in that snowy field (field shown in the last pic) - there is about 200 in the herd I believe. I flew east and then followed highway 101 south. If you fly west from here about 25 miles you will find Diamond Peak at 8,000 ft.

haha yea it would be cool if Orbx or someone placed the elk in there. It's funny but this scenery that Orbx has made is amazingly accurate. These pictures are actually what it looks like in the late winter there right now. And I know most of the buildings are placed by autogen but the farmhouses are even in the right places for the most part. And the bare spots on the mountains are there too - the spots where they clearcut the trees for logging. Also great idea to get out the ultralight - I've been neglecting that bird. Just might have to get it out for a quick run-around.

Archived