M. Beauty to Geehi

Guest J van E

Guest J van E

Since a week or so I stopped flying from A to B in a straight line and at a safe height: now I fly low and slow and I follow the terrain, if possible. Today I plotted a route from Mt. Beaty to Geehi in such a way that I could follow valleys and rivers and stay low almost all the time. Flying has never been more fun. Here is the route:

Posted Image

And here are some pics, in chronological order (click for bigger ones):

Dawn above the mountains:

Posted Image

A dam. And still people say water at High 2x is useless... ::) :

Posted Image

If possible I like to follow roads. Autogen at extremely dense makes it look a lot more real (hiddden in the trees):

Posted Image

Leaving the wilderness for a while:

Posted Image

A wide valley:

Posted Image

A wide vally continued:

Posted Image

A nice shortcut:

Posted Image

No, that's not the destination yet, but Corryong. It's great to fly low and look into the turns you make:

Posted Image

Into the wilderness again. Hm, it's getting pretty narrow: the airfield should be at the right somewhere over there...:

Posted Image

It should be there somewhere: it's pretty hidden! A little field in the middle of nowhere:

Posted Image

That should be the landingstrip... oh boy... small, short and uphill...:

Posted Image

Luckily my C185F has no problems with it.

Posted Image

Sorry for not taking any external short, but I never leave the VC during my flights... ;)

Guest J van E

No shortage of possible flights like that also.

Very true! Here is the 'same' flight using another path through the mountains:

Posted Image

...you can go from A to B in numerous ways and it will never look the same. The straight GPS route is a thing from the past for me!

Very nice -- I'll be passing through there on my tour soon (well actually I did a couple of days ago, but it's taking me a while to post the pics! Anyhow you had better weather than me!)

And *boy* is it a tricky strip!!  :o  Nice food at the lodge though -- fresh caught fish, right out of the stream. Yum!!  8)

Have you tried Cabramurra, a little ways to the North? That's another "interesting" strip, at 5000ft elevation, on the top of a mountain. Definitely need to watch your density altitude with that one...

Guest J van E

No, that's not the destination yet, but Corryong. It's great to fly low and look into the turns you make:

Er... I meant Khancoban of course... ;)

Archived