Not sure if FTX Global is working

Daniel Alexander

Hi,

So after searching through google for a while and following a few posts related to making sure FTX Central is setup correctly and that the GLOBAL scenery is in my FSX scenery library I have resulted to asking here if there is something I am missing with my setup or whatever else.

0ydt7BW.jpg

This is a screenshot from my FSX. I only have FTX Global and the libraries are up to date. From what I can gather this is not at all what it should look like, maybe I'm missing something I can also show a picture from the air near Kennedy Intl:

AgduTG1.jpg

My DX10 on/off doesn't change anything. It is all ticked in my scenery libraries. My settings are set by the recommended numbers in the FTX Global Manual.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks for any help :)

My PC Specs: i7-6900K, Nvidia GTX1070, 16GB RAM

Hello Daniel,

There are some elements of FTXGlobalBase shown in your picture, but there is a significant loss of detail. Your system specs should be able to deliver a better result than what is shown, provided your CPU is overclocked and the cfg settings are set correctly. 
Can you attach your FSX.cfg to your next post using the Paperclip attach tool.

Also can you indicate if you are running the Steam version of FSX, and are you using Native PreviewDX10 alone or DX10 with or without the DX10 Fixer (Payware / or Freeware).

A quick look at your FSX.cfg might reveal any slider or checkbox settings and tweaks that aren't quite right. The blurriness of your Autogen might indicate a bad setting for global texture res, or Scenery Complexity slider, or even the wrong Graphics Texture filtering.

Below is a pic from my sim FSX:MS DeluxeGold Accpack, DX9 Default, extremely high settings with a much less powerful setup. (specs in sig)  I tried to replicate the position and zoom, I use FTXGlobalBase, FTX TreesHD & set my LOD radius to 6.500000 with ED Autogen ,16xAA & 16xAF.

2018-9-30_12-2-15-86.jpg

Hello Daniel,

I've had a chance to look over your FSX.cfg and found some irregular entries It appears that you have not infact run FSX:SE in DX10 mode, but are running in Default DX9 mode. I also note that you had both Trilinear & Anisotropic filtering enabled (this cannot be) because the setting is enabled as a selection one filtering type only via drop menu. I also noticed quite a few other settiings both in scenery & Graphics that would play a part in the lack of fidelity you were seeing  around Kennedy looking towards Manhatten.

I was going to suggest that you rename the current fsx.CFG   to  fsx.CFG.Dan  or something like that and allow FSX to create a fresh one on next startup.

We should still do this renaming of the current   fsx.CFG  but I have made some modifications to the one you posted in the hopes that will result in a better appearance of the overall scenery and sim in your case.

Please Download the modified  fsx.CFG  below, making sure you have renamed/ backed up your original then paste it into the folder to replace the original.

You can do a side by side comparison later to see what changes were made, but for now start FSX and loadup a flight out of Kennedy Intl (Make no changes in the settings) check the scenery see if it is any better. (Fingers crossed) and Report back.

Your Original fsx.CFG  now modified  >  Download here >> fsx.CFG

Just now, Daniel Alexander said:

Any advice on how to make this even better than it is now would be much appreciated.

Well as you know FSX is a very testy beast to tame, I would try a few more flights around your favourite locations, (just to test performance) I would definitely Overclock your CPU if you can manage something around 4.5GHz that will definitely allow some headroom to experiment, ie: having scenery Autogen @ Extremely Dense for most situations, (I never move mine from ED these days since achieving OC @ 4.6GHz, The other more immediate thing you can do graphically is to enable PreviewDX10, in combination with the use of Steve Parsons DX10 fixer (Payware version is best)  to allow for some eyecandy and the greater performance benefits of the DX10 API. 

Beyond that, its just a matter of finding your sweet spot and being satisfied that you have squeezed the living daylights out of the sim within the limits of its 32bit engine and your hardware.
Incidently is your machine a Laptop because you are using a fairly low screen resolution (Standard for laptop) (Native) 1360x768x32 
I run a much higher resolution on a Desktop PC with 24" Samsung monitor (Native) FSX (Windowed mode) 1920x1080x32  & (DynamicSuperResolution) DSR @2.25 Fullscreen Mode=2880x1620x32 
I also use Nvidia Inspector / Profiler to enhance the AA and AF settings. Alongside that I use FSWC to enhance the water and reflections and colour to some extent. (Not sure if this is still available since the site nolonger exists) Only the lite version works with DX10 but the full version works in DX9 mode. I also use ENB with JV's Purple haze setup and BMP it also allows the introduction of Bloom effects which you will notice I have disabled in your new config, FSX's own Bloom is a heavy burden  for the CPU and will prevent you from squeezing performance out of your sim in other more important areas. This is why I use ENB for Bloom but you can also use SweetFX it does pretty much the same as a post process.

I think that should keep you fairly busy for the moment, you have a lot of flying and comparing to do, then you can introduce more elements into your sim when you feel satisfied in the overall performance and the way it looks.

Kind Regards Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Actually I am running a desktop PC and I never realized that my sim was running on that res ^^ I have now adjusted it to an appropriate resolution and that has resulted in fps and quality increases.

I'm working on the DX10 bit now, looking forward to the eye candy and then I'll have a play about like you said. After that I'll start looking at extras for making it even more awesome :D Thanks for your help I will make sure to quote you if I need any more assistance :)

Hi Daniel,

I am glad your sim is showing some graphical and FPS improvements.
There are a few things to consider since you have now adjusted your Screen Resolution. Your "Desktop Resolution" should be set to the "Native Resolution" of your monitor, assuming it is 1080p 1920x1080x32 with the highest refresh ie; (normally 60Hz) and within FSX... Fullscreen Resolution should also be set to the same "Native" res, you can even experiment with a higher resolution for Fullscreen mode as I have, using Nvidia DSR (let me know if you need some setup pointers). Please bare in mind that whenever you adjust any setting or slider within FSX's Scenery or Graphic settings panel the  (TML)  TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048 in fsx.cfg  will revert to default 1024, is best to set 2048 as there no real benefits setting this @4096 unless you are using software /Textures that require 4096 as you originally had it.
The other reversion that will happen as a result of adjusting sliders and such is the  LOD_RADIUS=6.500000 (now set in the new config) which is allowing a greater draw distance for your autogen, it will revert to the default max of 4.500000  you can change both these settings back to  2048 and 6.500000 respectively, within the fsx.CFG
Also, originally you had "Autogen Density"  set to "normal" which is fine if your rig is struggling, I subsequently moved it up to "Very Dense" in the new config, but I feel you could move it up to "Extremely Dense" once you get a good CPU OverClock.

You should also have at least 8xS Antialiasing  and 16x Anisotropic Filtering set in Nvidia Control Panel or Nvidia Inspector if you choose to use NVI. There are other settings in NVI that should also be considered as far as Transparency SuperSampling and VSync settings, I can help you with those, you may find some posts / topics regarding NVIP settings other users are using, to make their sim's run better.
If you are going to use DX10 and the Payware DX10fixer, you should refer to the DX10 subforum for pointers and follow the DX10 setup guide as well as the Guide prepared by Adam Banks, DX10fixer Control panel will require a slightly different fsx.CFG setup than those I have modified for use in FSX default DX9 mode.

Setup a shortcut on your desktop for fsx.CFG then you can access it more easily, (these settings also revert if you make adjustments to traffic levels ( which I have also modified in your new config) when you make a manual adjustment or reset the LOD_Rad or TML, close it with the "X" top right of window and choose "Save" then run your sim without returning to FSX's settings panel to make further changes, otherwise you will need to manually reset these values within the fsx.CFG before the next FSX restart.

Archived