B757 bird strike - MayDay video

alexf

Very impressive. Two things that stood out to me while i watched it....

Firstly, i think if you were a passanger at a window seat in the rear cabin looking out at the engine on fire, that must be one of the single most scary sights you could ever see.

Secondly, at about the 2:15 mark plainly visible in the background is a British Airways Concorde, sadly now resigned to the history books. I watched a Concorde fly into Bournemouth airport in the mid 90's, we were parked in a layby directly under the approach path next to the boundary fence, a few hundred yards from the threshold. Concorde came over our heads at about 100 feet altitude, certainly an experience you never forget!

Very impressive situation managment by the pilots and ATC.

Russ.

Saw this video some time ago, you can see more on a website called "FL360".  Definitely hats off to the pilots as it is one of the smoothest landing I have ever seen, and all accomplished with only one engine operating.  Now this deserves a round of applause from the passengers upon touch-down.

Cheers

Jason

I thought the PIC was a bit over the top? Why call a mayday when he was climbing out (on one engine) and was in control of the aircraft and was able to circle and was not heading for the ground? I would have thought a PAN would have been more appropriate as he still had control and was able to make a landing? I also lack understanding why the brakes had to be inspected? was it because they could not use reverse thrust? If so I would hope the brakes on the aircraft were able to cope without reverse thrust?

Hindsight is always wonderful?

Use of Mayday in this situation is perfectly acceptable.

Mayday is used to describe a situation where there is real and immenent danger to life.... having an engine on fire during rotate using full power to climb is an imminemtly dangerous situation.

Remember we could see what happened from outside (birds entering engine) but from inside the cockpit that was unknown at the time, and the PIC made the right call. Bird or no bird, an engine on fire during take off is very serious.

Pan calls are made for less serious situations that do not include imminent threat. For example a flight recently made a pan call to report smoke in the cabin.

Brake inspection is following inability to use reverse thrust, and represents a good example of common sense given the situation.

Russ.

He would have had to use more brakes because there wasn't the second engine to slow him down. So I'd imagine a brake inspection would be a wise idea. Just my thoughts on the issue but I wasn't flying the thing.

Edit: They may not have even use reverse thrust at all. Hard to tell. Maybe to have better control of it on the ground.

Archived