ISSUE REPORT - YMML blurry, blinking, slow (relative to computer IMHO)

yallu

Just got the YMML from the new year sale (order number in the signature). Installed with FTX off. Turned FTX on and went trying. Textures seem blurry more than usual, sometimes blinking. Very slow when looking the scenery.

What did I do wrong or is this how it is supposed to be (if so, sorry for bothering you)? I tried doing everything as instructed but I'm not saying it's not possible I missed something...

A) Hardware

- Asus Rampage II Extreme Mobo

- Core I7 950 @ 3.7 GHz

- 6GB (3x2GB) Dominator GT i7 DDR3 @ 1614 MHz

- 2 x 160 SSD Intel X-25 M G2 RAID-0

- Ati Radeon HD 5870 1GB

B) Software

- Windows 7x64 Ultimate

- FSX SP2

- FTX AU + YMML + Orbx freeware fields + OZx freeware fields

- REX2

- Ultimate Traffic II (no AU AI)

- other non AU sceneries, all installed FTX off mode.

C) FSX.cfg custom changes

DisablePreload=1

AffinityMask=15

D) Installed ORBX Products Report

FTX AU ~Status~

AUSTRALIA SP3.001 PATCH - August 1st, 2009

All FTX AU Regions shown below have been upgraded with the SP3.001 patch.

NOTE: If you have purchased and installed any FTX AU region (BLUE/GOLD/GREEN/RED) *after* installing the SP3.001 patch

you will need to re-install the SP3.001 patch again.

-------------------------------------

FTX AU BLUE V1.00

FTX AU GREEN V1.00 RTM BUILD 3032

FTX AU HOLGERMESH V1.0 (SP3)

FTX AU RED V1.00 RTM (BUILD 4018) JANUARY 2009

FTX AU YBLN BUSSELTON AIRPORT VERSION 1.5 (SP3) October2009

FTX AU YCUN CUNDERDIN AIRPORT VERSION 1.5 (SP3) October 2009

FTX AU YLIL VERSION 1.50 (BUILD 1501) August 2008

FTX AU YMLT VERSION 2.5 (SP3) October2009

FTX AU YMML MELBOURNE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT VERSION 1.2 - (SP3 Certified December 2009)

FTX AU YPLC PORT LINCOLN AIRPORT VERSION 1.5 (SP3) October 2009

FTX AU YPMQ PORT MACQUARIE AIRPORT VERSION 2.0 (SP3) October 2009

FTX AU YRED REDCLIFFE AIRPORT VERSION 3.0 (SP3) October 2009

FTX_AU_GOLD_V1.00.TXT BUILD 1022

E) Screenshot reports

01. CPU info

Posted Image

02. Memory info

Posted Image

03. Memory SPD info

Posted Image

04. Settings/Graphics

Posted Image

05. Settings/Aircraft

Posted Image

06. Settings/Scenery

Posted Image

07. Settings/Weather

Posted Image

08. Settings/Traffic

Posted Image

09. Sample 1

Posted Image

10. Sample 2

Posted Image

11. Sample 3

Posted Image

12. Sample 4

Posted Image

13. Sample 5

Posted Image

14. Sample 6

Posted Image

15. Aero

Posted Image

16. YMML config panel

Posted Image

Hi there

The apron textures are normal for 15cm photoreal so looks a little blurry compared to sythetic aprons which you might be used to. Aero affects only the FSX synthetic aprons so has no effect on YMMLs photoreal aprons

In terms of blinking, what is blinking?

You system should get pretty go FPS performance. Perhaps try lowering the traffic and autogen a bit

We are planning an update for YMML the first quater of 2010 which should provide much improved performance in terms of FPS and texture load delay.

Hi there

The apron textures are normal for 15cm photoreal so looks a little blurry compared to sythetic aprons which you might be used to. Aero affects only the FSX synthetic aprons so has no effect on YMMLs photoreal aprons

In terms of blinking, what is blinking?

You system should get pretty go FPS performance. Perhaps try lowering the traffic and autogen a bit

We are planning an update for YMML the first quater of 2010 which should provide much improved performance in terms of FPS and texture load delay.

Ah, ok. That explains it, thanks. By blinking I mean as if there was graphics below the scenery that sometimes seems to pop up on surface for a brief moment. I don't know how to express it better though :). Traffic is UT2 and it does not create so much AI as the default. I'm not sure if that FSX setting even has any meaning any more as UT2 takes care of AI with its own schedules. FPS is acceptable ATM and I can still reduce details without much effect on visuals. This post was mainly about the blurriness.

This is good news, as the only problem I have with YMML is the texture load delay *only* in the airport buildings.

Thanks in advance!

Ahh yes the popping up and down of the ground poly.

Yes this a querk with our attempt at making a true custom FSX ground poly. To overcome flickering we had to make the poly switch using LODs which lifts the poly of the ground so it does not flicker on approach. The problem seems to occur most when using a cockpit zoom of 30% and when in some of the more remote sections of the field. So using a zoom of 40% should fix the issue (which i know is not the best solution as i like flying with 30% but it works)

Again this is something i hope to refine and improve on for the update. YBBN we are going back to the FS2002 poly which has other limitations in terms of supressing big areas of Autogen and being slow at loading textures, much slower than native FSX models. You just can't win sometimes  :)

Either way we have a promise of improving our products where and when time permits. So stay tuned.

I had a probably related issue where I started a flight from YMML, went to fly downtown Melbourne and then returned back. While returning, the airfield runways in the other field (YMEV? whatever don't remeber, closest to YMML) right next to YMML disappeared below the ground (they were there when I started the flight but not when I was returning from the roundtrip). Also AI only had shadows and lights left, planes themselves disappeared.

But I suppose it could be something related to A2A Piper and/or UT2 just as well.

Just a few more pics in case they might be helpful...

17. The missing runway right next to YMML (was visible and ok when flight began)

Posted Image

18. Shadow OK

Posted Image

19. Shadow gone under ground

Posted Image

20. Mayby something wrong? Should it really look like that?

Posted Image

Is that going to be the just revealed payware upgrade or another free upgrade? Mostly, I'm interested in getting less blurry YMML but it's good to have it faster as well. How is it all done with, for example, the Fly Tampa's VHHX, that runway looks very very nice in native mode, can you use similar techniques (sorry, don't really no nothing about FSX techs)?

Btw, I'm almost never using 30% or 40% zoom in case that's the problem, I mostly use 60-90%. With twotter and dc-2 I use 50%. If you look at those last few images, is that what I should expect?

I couldn't fix the blurries so I uninstalled YMML (as the default with Aero + REX looks better than the blurry YMML - for the time being). I might try it again after the next SP. This ticket can be closed.

Those last over head shots are too blurry, but only the grassy ground around the runways as your runway in those shots are displaying as they should.

The ground blurring could be your system taking a while to load a higher resolution mip of the ground image or it could be caused by your graphic card filtering options.

I can see from your last shot that your anisotropic settings are not right. Enter your graphic card control panel and configure anisotropic filtering to be at maximum. Also in FSX make sure you have filtering set to anisotropic too. This will increase texture sharpness for you.

The runway texture will never be as crisp as the Fly Tampa type of runways as we use actual aerial photography of the real runway which means it's 100% authentic, at the cost of lower up close resolution. The crisper Fly tampa style runways are because they use repeating generic surface tiles to cover the runway area, which means they are more detailed close up, but at the cost of not representing the ACTUAL runway surface of the real airport. 

Personally i much prefer the realism of photo runway textures such as YMML has, there is a certain believability that cannot be recreated with generic repeating tiles.

Everything is a trade-off!

Russ.

Archived