New rig on its way! your opinions please!

Blackjack

hey guys, i got anew rig on its way just now... here's the specs:

Asrock P55 Extreme LGA1156, cFire,SLI, 7.1Snd, GBLan, ATX

Intel i5 750 2.66GHz LGA1156 Processor

4Gb (2X2Gb) Dual Channel DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

1024Mb nVidia GeForce GTX 285 PCI-Expres VGA Card

250Gb Maxtor DiamondMax21 SATAI/II 8Mb Cache Hard Drive

CoolerMaster Elite RC-335 Mid Tower ATX Case - No PSUMicroSoft

Windows 7 Home Premium - 64Bit, OEM

PSE-700INF EZCool Infinity 700W ATX, PFC PSU

i understand this is by no means top of the range, however it does havesome good upgrade capabilities for the future. after doing some research i came to the conclusion that the difference between the performance of i5s and i7s is very minimal, and most attention should be to the graphics card.

how well do u think this system can run FTX?

cheers

Hello there

Are you planning to overclock your i5?  I'm afraid I can't comment on how it would run FTX products as I have not used an i5 before, but I anticipate it should run it well given there are peeps here who have lower system and can run FTX products fine.

Would appreciate if you could let us know how you you go actually, I've been curious about how an i5 based system would run FTX products  :)

Cheers

Jason

ok thanks guys. i'll let u know how i get along. i should also mention that i wont be running a really high resolution... just 1280x960. according to some review i read, using fsx, both an i5 and i7 cap out at the same point so i do hope i havent lost any performance when opting for an i5.

as i am not too good with computers, can i ask... is overclocking a processor a) difficult, and B) dangerous?

cheers!

The Core i5 is a solid performer its simply just a slightly watered down i7 still a quad core very overclockable, and as for resolution you will definitely be able to run a higher res than 1280x960 you have a 1GB GTX285 it can easily handle the big screen sizes, ud be short changing your self only running a 1280 res over something like a 1920x1200 or 1080 (1080 is more common)

as for overclocking the CPU its not particularly dangerous as long as your not pushing the physical limits of the chip as for difficulty most motherboards these days come with software that will give you a decent mild overclock.

It would be a good idea to overclock the CPU it will definitely give you a huge performance boost, you dont need to but it is highly advisable to get the best performance you can out of what you have.

does overclocking require any extra tools or hardware or anything? i mean... does the pc case have to be open or can u just overclock using software?

sorry for these dumb questions... i will definitelly have a look into it later on but if u could provide a very general/ rough describtion of what is required to overclock a cpu, that would be very much appreciated!

thanks

Basically overclocking your CPU involves having good cooling in your case and for your CPU, overclocking the chip will increase the amount of heat being generated from the processor but as long as you have a cpu cooler good enough you shouldn't have problems, you can overclock in two main ways 1) you can do it through the BIOS by changing the bus speed multiplier and tweaking with the voltages etc. or 2) have software that comes with your motherboard do it for you, which for people who just need a simple mild boost in performance is a smart idea. There is no need to have one of the side panels off and have extra wires and stuff connected. If you need a little more detail Google and Youtube are your friends ;D

Archived