Raid card for Win 7 advice needed.

drumsonly2002

Looking at the Adaptec Serial ATA II RAID 1430SA and noticed no new drivers for Win 7, only XP. Will this card work with the EVGA X58 running Win 7? Does a card with buffer memory help,of much difference?  Any card recommendations? Looking through the myrid of choices with raid cards is making my head spin, lots of cards with bad comments in reviews. This card though, appears good quality. Thanks for all comments.

JV is using an Adaptec RAID card on Win7 64bit with no problems.  I am using Vista64 bit - with the 1430SA - and I doubt you would have difficulty with Win7.

With regard to Software / Firmware / Hardware RAID - it os true that standalone Hardware RAID offers some performance benefits.

Software RAID = (disaster) - most CPU intensive - no performance gain for FSX with Striping (RAID0)

Big performance hit in the CPU department.

My understanding is that onboard RAID is "firmware" RAID - so not a full implementation, but close to.

A standalone card has (should have) its own independent controller, and (in the case of the Adaptec) loads its own BIOS dependant on what configuration of drives you have.  The driver simply sees a device - and the card does all the work ....

That is in theory.........

I have 4 x 120gig OCZ Vertex SSD's on Raid 0 on an Highpoint Rocket Raid 3520LF 8 Channel PCI-E to SATA Raid Controller, which is giving me about 780MB/sec Read. I have just purchased a LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i SGL Single Pack, PCI-e 2.0 x8 8 Port SAS/SATA  Raid Controller to replace the Highpoint.

Archived