Failing hard drives

Smurf

Hello all, here's a tricky one. Probably more suited to a computer repair shop but i'm looking for as many answers and information as I can find before taking it in to a shop.

I just bought the components to build a computer and they are:

Motherboard - ASUS P6T

cpu - Intel i7 920

ram - 6GB Kit DDR3 1333 Kingston

gpu - Gigabyte 896Mb GTX275

4x 1TB Samsung hdds

A mate of mine put it all together and everything worked fine untill I had to reboot for something and noticed an error had occurred on one of the four hard drives.

I tried different plugs, ports and leads and everytime it always came back to this one HD as the problem, so I returned it to the shop and exchanged it for a new one, installed that, everything worked fine untill it failed again later on.

Now just noticed that ANOTHER one has failed, which leads me to believe that it may be the motherboard.

If I remember correctly, the hard drives were set up in RAID 0+1.

Could that be a problem? The way that it's been set up?

Hopefully someone here knows what i'm talking about and may be able to pin point the problem (hopefully).

I broke the bank buying this computer and it's gonna be quite a wait before I can have it diagnosed and repaired.

So just as I got flight sim installed and the wrinkles ironed out, i'm back to twiddling my thumbs :(

Depending on which chipset is running the array - the mirroring can be unstable.

If you are using the Intel Matrix Chipset, you will need to rebuild the array whenever you put a new drive in.  The Matrix RAID software can help do that - install it if you haven't already, and see if it can rebuild your array.

If the drives are new, it is probably worth rebuilding the array if you get a spurious failure.

Having said that - the last computer that did this for me blew up its motherboard - which was very annoying, and more than a little bit inconvenient.  It is now in the bin.

Check your system and Harddrive temperatures, and make sure they're not sitting up against (say) a graphics card - which is overheating them.

That may be but RAID should be redundant as the name suggests,

RAID5 is not mirrored but spanned and rebuildable if there is a drive failure, RAID 0 and 1 and 1+) aren't.

I suspect the use a RAID controller board would give it respectable speed.

Try RAID 5 with 5 x 250 SSD's and tell me what your speed is

RAID1 is indeed quite rebuildable after a single HDD failure.  That is actually the point.

The question is - does RAID5 perform faster than RAID1.

With 3 7200RPM drives on a Corei5, using an ICH10R chipset, I will have to contend that the answer is ... No.

A standalone card may indeed be better ... but there are few PCIe cards that support RAID5.  I have a spare Adaptec RAID5 PCI-X card, if anyone wants to buy it ;)

Archived