Wrong sized SSD's

Arismac

I took delivery of two OCZ Colussus 256GB SSD's because I got fed up with waiting for the 500GB only to discover that I had actually been supplied with two 128GB drives. This even thought the packaging and labeling clearly stated that they had capacities of 256GB.

I will not name the supplier because I genuinely do not believe it was his fault and like me had accepted that the labels were correct. We didn't discover the problem until we went to install the OpSys (Win 7 64bit). The supplier is exchanging at his expense after promising to check the next two before shipment.

The plot has thickened a little. Wade from ITSdirect tells me that in fact we did receive 250GB drives but OCZ admitted that a batch error on some 250's means that drives are detecting as smaller sizes. He is now physically checking all drives prior to shipment.

I admit that I do not quite understand what error could cause a smaller size to be detected and I somehow doubt that OCZ are going to tell me.

Isn't this surprising? Last week I got a 128GB SSD (different brand than the one mentioned above), got it installed and I and the technician had to waste almost 2 hours trying to figure out why Win 7 Ultimate RTM was only recognising 64GB!

The technician took the whole package to the supplier who confirmed that it was indeed 64GB. Replaced it.

But I am very happy with the SSD. It is purely for FSX and its addons, plus I placed Windows Virtual memory on it.

I too am dealing with ITS direct (Wade) received a 120GB Colossus (after waiting several weeks) which showed in my BIOS and Windows7 as a 60GB drive.  OCZ admitted there was a fault with the Colossus Drive, I've returned the drive but am still waiting for the replacement!  This was definitely a 120GB drive and the fault is well recorded on the OCZ forums.  I really wanted a Vertex drive but was convinced by ITSDirect that the Colossus was a much better drive!  Only time will tell.

Ain't technology grand?

PeterH

Archived