Pairing CPU and GPU | Advantage to be gained?

RallyFan

Hello all

Just out of curiosity, does pairing certain brand of CPU and GPU together (i.e. AMD with ATi, Intel with nVidia) provide any advantages to performance?  Or does it not matter at all?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Jason

I think, before the X58 released, people were more likely to choose an AMD setup with an ATI card or an Intel setup with nvidia card(given they had the 7, or 6 series sli boards)

because performance difference between Intel and AMD chips weren't that far apart.  Back then sli boards, obviously didn't support crossfire, and the amd, intel x38, and intel x48

boards didn't support sli. So only options were: Intel + ATI w/ crossfire support, Intel + nVidia w/SLI support, AMD + ATI w/crossfire support.  So there would be some performance

advantages if you paired up the cpu, gpu and mobo correctly.

But now, we are blessed with the X58 and the i7, which has the capability to support both crossfire and SLI.  Safe to say that AMD has been left in the dust because with the X58

you can go with either Intel + nVidia or Intel + ATI, and use SLI or crossfire to improve your performance.

Personally, I prefer the Intel + nvidia setup right now.  With nVidia you have the option to add a standalone card dedicated for physx, and this is exclusive to nvidia.  And who

knows what nvidia has up their sleeve with the 300 series card which I hope comes out soon.  I've heard a few complaints with the 5970 and its drivers, but then again most

new cards have had initial driver issues.  ATI's new cards also supports eyefinity, which I think lets you hook up six monitors using one card.  This would actually be great for fsx.

Archived