... some things don't come easy- HDD headache

Hotspot

...this may expose how little I know about PC's

...after being unable to activate a newly installed W7 beta OS many moons ago (which is another story) I had pulled the new 500GB  HDD on which it was installed out of a computer and put it in a draw, not knowing how to get the OS off it to use it just as a slave.

Fast forward to this week and finding it in the draw (having just put a computer together and needing another drive)- connected it up and the sign came up to say it needed to be formatted before I could use it, but windows couldn't format it as some files were read only, which couldn't be accessed - foul snooker.

Downloaded a few free HDD wiper programs and tried them - basically the same story. ...... hmmmmm ....surely it can't be this hard??

Had a vista 32 bit OS in the draw which MS had refused to validate (yet another story) so put the disc in (after disconnecting the proper OS HDD from the PC) booted from the disc and started to install the OS (on the  drive that needed formatting) until the Vista install program said the HDD needed formatting, clicked OK and then terminated the install after about twenty seconds. Windows told me that "nothing had been saved" so there were "no changes to the computer" by terminating at that stage.

Imagine my surprise when I replugged the original OS HDD and started the computer to find that the format had been completed and the 500Gb hard drive was ready to use.

Surely this is not really the procedure needed to format a drive which contains an OS/?  ???  I'm ready to be enlightened

Archived