It works - what an anticlimax - new machine

Hotspot

Hi all,

For a few months now a collection of various parts has been in progress in anticipation of the release of the boxed W7 OS, so when it arrived I had already assembled a new PC, having not even switched it on to see if it would boot.

Imagine my surprise when it actually fired up, and W7 went on in a few short minutes, so you'll never guess what I've been playing with for the last couple of weeks. Another pleasant surprise was that my son in law gave me the OS as an early Chrissie present.

The system is based on the eVga X58 SLI LE mobo, with an i7920 to practice overclocking in anticipation of the release of a six core Intel chip for the 1136 socket next year.

I am very pleasantly surprised at how well it runs FSX/FTX without any overclocking, which I don't know how to do yet. My idle temps on air are about 38 and on Prime 95 test it is stable (3 hour test) at 60C. I tentatively upped the QPI from 133, but it blue screens at only 140 with the vCore at 1.3, so I'm trying to get familiar with the bios and the language ready for a serious attempt after using it for a while.

One aspect which may account for the very smooth performance is the use of an SSD for the OS and another for FSX. I also stuck a velociraptor in with the SSD's and was wondering should I put the 25GB of mesh which is shortly to arrive on one of the SSD's or the V/raptor? The SSd's are only 128GB each, and I will probably add another as prices drop.  :-\

Congrats on the new rig (i wish i would be there already). It has much potential indeed. Should never ever blue screen at 140 - there is a setting completely out of boundary... Most likely your RAM on auto setting. Look at the sticker on the RAM for correct CL settings and voltage (1,65 v) and set this manually in the bios. Then you can start to play  ;D.

Btw, the EVGA site has a nice guide how to OC this board with a 920.

Thanks heiko,

Yep, when I put the correct Ram voltage and timings in I was able to work it up to 157, but not any higher yet. Using the eVga forums and templates as a guide is helpful, but I'm still working on accumulating the years of experience which takes a bit longer  :D

Archived