i7 920 Overclock, with Cooler master V8. 3.6Ghz

Jason

First off, I STARTED at 4Ghz but had some instability issues, so backed it off to 3.8 same issues, now got it stable at 3.6Ghz.

OCing is super easy with the Asus P6T and i7 920, and 4Ghz is the norm from researching many forums, I think I may have got my instability from the CPU voltage or another voltage, I also tuned them back when I unwound the clock speeds, but will test further another time.

All in all this took me roughly 1 hour to get stable, but only 15 minutes to actually clock initially.

I have changed these settings in the BIOS

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE AS A RESULT FROM COPYING THESE PARAMETERS. OVERCLOCK AT YOUR OWN RISK

BIOS PAGE AI TWEAKER

AI overclock tuner [X.M.P]

CPU Ratio Setting [20]

Intel SpeedStep [DISABLED]

Turbo Mode [DISABLED]

BCLK Freq [180] (190 is 3.8 and 200 is 4.0Ghz)

DRAM Freq [DDR3-1443MHz] (these options change as you step up the clock speed, at 200 you can choose 1603)

CPU Voltage [1.3]

QPI/DRAM Core Voltage [1.3]

DRAM Bus Voltage [1.6]

CPU Differential Amplitude [800mV]

BIOS PAGE ADVANCE/CPU CONFIG

CPU Ratio Setting [20]

C1e [DISABLED]

HARDWARE PREFETCH [ENABLED]

Adj Cache [ENABLED]

Intel Virtualization [DISABLED]

CPU TM Function [DISABLED]

Exec Disable Bit [ENABLED]

Intel HT (hyper threading) [DISABLED]

Active Processor Cores [ALL]

A20M [Disabled]

SpeedStep [DISABLED]

C-State [ENABLED]

C State Pack Limit [AUTO]

Thats it. save and reboot.

Now download these 2 programs. REALTEMP to monitor your CPU temp under loads. I had FSX running around YMML in windowed mode and kept an eye on the little temp guage at the tool bar. CPUZ to monitor you CPU speeds and see if its running at the speeds you want and much more

My current set up is running FSX, Active sky X and Fraps simultaneously and recording video of the flight and temps are steady between 48 and 52 celcius (too high??? I dont know but I know its safe). I don't want to run the CPU in the 60s for long periods of time so tuning the speed back to obtain safe temps was not a big issue.

I flew with my standard settings pretty much what Orbx suggests, but cranked up autogen to max and got steady 20FPS at Orbxs YMML (FSX's hardest test in my opinion) and away from the airport I was getting well over 100FPS close to the ground with masses of trees and lights.

All in all I am extremely pleased.

I am not a real tech guru so there is no real point asking me techo questions. All I did was research and follow/watch/read a few guides.

Archived