Squeezing the juice from a Core Duo?

Tailgunner

I have a humble E6850 Core Duo 3.0 GHz, powering a GTX 260 895 mb, and I've aways wondered whether I really benefit from those two cores.  Now I've  come across in a reasonably reputable magazine two relevant tweaks new to me, and I'd be very glad to have an opinion from knowledgeable folk in this forum.

[1]

add to the end of the FSX.CFG file -

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffiinityMask=0 

"Replace the 0 with the number 1 for a single core machine, 3 for two cores, 7 for three, 15 for four. There's quite a lot of debate...however it has given me dramatic improvements."

2] 

"Run the sim, then Alt-Tab out to the Windows desktop. Right-click on the task bar and select Task Manager. When it appears, click on the Processes tab and find the sim in the list of processes. Finally, right-click on the sim, choose Properties and then set the  processor affinity to run on anything other than the first processor. Depending on how heavily loaded your system is, your mileage will vary, but you will get some framerate improvement regardless."

Comments, anyone?

No Doug not necessarily.

Depending on the quad speed you would possibly achieve better performance by simply turning Hyperthreading OFF and allowing FSX to run on Core 1 and 2 and utility items on 3 whit the PC running it's needed processes on core 0.

The affinity mask is in fact very old news and has been in play for some 2-3 years. as with any tweak there are hitherto unknown hardware obsticals that may detract from what you hope to gain.

Hi Tailgunner

As Maurice stated this tweak has been around for sometime and it was primarily used in the SP1 version of FSX.  

Subsequently, there has been a lot of debate as to whether it's actually needed for SP2 (Acceleration, FSX Gold).  

Most gurus say that is not needed in SP2 - but who knows?

Further, if you have found a significant improvement in your machine then there is no harm in including it in the cfg file.  

IMHO anything that makes FS operate smoother and faster is a good thing!

I have tried it, but it did not make any difference to my E8600 dual core.  But as you know every pc is different . . . . .

Regards

PeterH

Hi Tailgunner

IMHO anything that makes FS operate smoother and faster is a good thing!

I have tried it, but it did not make any difference to my E8600 dual core.  But as you know every pc is different . . . . .

Regards

PeterH

Just to endorse peterhayes's remarks as my experience with the affinity mask on an E8600 has been the same.

One thing I did notice which I have not seen mentioned on the forums is that on my machine anyway, I do get a degree of jumping and stuttering intermittently which only occurs on an irregular basis when I have a systems temperature monitoring program running at the same time as the sim. Took me a while to wake up to the cause, as it was an unexpected source of poor performance.  :D

I've done some testing on my E8400 running FSX Acceleration under Win7 RC and it makes no difference whether the Affinity mask is in fsx.cfg or not. The Resource Monitor indicates that both cores are being heavily utilised by FSX irrespective.

Greg

Archived