ATI Radeon HD4890 Vs nVidia GTX275?

VOZzer

Hello everyone!

Just a quickie here. Basically, I've decided on my new PC's spec (to run FSX/REX2/FTX with 25-30FPS high sliders), and was just wondering about the Graphics Card.

Basically, I want to know which card, out of the HD4890 and the GTX275, will give me better OVERALL performance (sharper graphics, better performance etc).

If you must know, my new PC specs are as follows:

- Intel i7 2.66Ghz Processor Overclocked to 3.80Ghz

- Graphics Card??? (That's the point of making this topic :D)

- 6GB DDR3 RAM

- Gigabyte EX58 Motherboard

- Onboard Sound

- Liquid Cooling

But the main reason of this topic thread is the GFX Card comparison. Opinions please! ;D

Cheers,

VOZzer (Jack)

Can't help with comparison but I have a Gigabyte HD 4890-OC 1gB DDR5 V/card.  It has a Zalman cooler standard.   $259 @ Umart.   I use  Ray Adams' ATT (ATI Tray Tools v1.6.9.1407) instead of Catalyst.  I'm happy. (Driver Only)

I couldn't find any FSX comparison benchmarks but it generally seems faster than a 260 and comparable to a 275 in other games.

I have to say I would go the Nvidia due to the way that it renders clouds in FSX.

I previously used a 3870 Radeon and they could never get it right when it came to overcast weather. Shocking framerates.

I have never had an issue with my GTX275...never.

i have a 275 and find its great. If you read the hardware reviews (see pcpilot or pc aviator) then fsx is cpu limited rather than gpu limited.  Buy a good case and overclock

ah i see the cpu is overclocked sounds great

Cheers guys. Looks like it's the nVidia GTX285 then. So, my final final final spec that I'll be purchasing in a month are as follows:

- Custom Built Gaming PC

- Intel i7 Quad Core 2.66Ghz Processor Overclocked to 3.80Ghz

- nVidia GTX286 GFX Card

- 6GB DDR3 RAM

- Gigabyte EX58 UD3R Motherboard

- Onboard sound

- Domino CoolIt CPU Liquid Cooler

- Antec Three Hundred Case

Does that sound good? I hope to achieve 25-30FPS with sliders very high, over busy areas. I know it's ambitious, but that's why I'm purchasing a good spec ;D.

Thanks guys,

VOZzer (Jack)

Archived