Special VFR...Hobart...

AnthG87

Starting decent from 9500 into Hobart in class CHARLIE airspace...

Posted Image

Theres a break in the cloud lets go through there...No violation of VMC at all... :-\

Posted Image

This cloud is starting to look scary and its getting dark...We may have to request a flight plan upgrade to IFR..."Hobart Tower Bravo,Alpha,Foxtrot request special VFR"

Posted Image

Take time to admire the sunset...

Posted Image

Hobart Tower,C172 Bravo,Alpha,Foxtrot request IFR flightplan upgrade...

Posted Image

Bravo Alpha Foxtrot maintain 3000ft,report established on localiser,cleared for ILS RWY 12 approach,confirm QNH 1008.

Posted Image

It was actually a flight from King Island to Hobart,which is a fair way for a little 172 and being higher increases the range of the aeroplane.With the mixture leaned to the correct fuel:air ratio (i think its 5:1) due to the fact that there are less molecules of air for a given parcel of air, the aircraft engine uses less fuel because there is less air, hence range is increased.Also at higher altitudes, the aircraft must have a faster True Airspeed (TAS) for a given Indicated Airspeed (IAS) thereby increasing range.Finally, I like to be as high as possible on over-water flights incase the engine quits!!  ;D ;D ;D

It was actually a flight from King Island to Hobart,which is a fair way for a little 172 and being higher increases the range of the aeroplane.With the mixture leaned to the correct fuel:air ratio (i think its 5:1) due to the fact that there are less molecules of air for a given parcel of air, the aircraft engine uses less fuel because there is less air, hence range is increased.Also at higher altitudes, the aircraft must have a faster True Airspeed (TAS) for a given Indicated Airspeed (IAS) thereby increasing range.Finally, I like to be as high as possible on over-water flights incase the engine quits!!  ;D ;D ;D

Yes I am aware of this. I fly a C172S

It was actually a flight from King Island to Hobart,which is a fair way for a little 172 and being higher increases the range of the aeroplane.With the mixture leaned to the correct fuel:air ratio (i think its 5:1) due to the fact that there are less molecules of air for a given parcel of air, the aircraft engine uses less fuel because there is less air, hence range is increased.Also at higher altitudes, the aircraft must have a faster True Airspeed (TAS) for a given Indicated Airspeed (IAS) thereby increasing range.Finally, I like to be as high as possible on over-water flights incase the engine quits!!  ;D ;D ;D

Sorry mate.Didn't mean to insult your intelligence. I fly the 172RG Cutlass...Oldie but a goodie.

Happy flying  ;D ;D ;D

It was actually a flight from King Island to Hobart,which is a fair way for a little 172 and being higher increases the range of the aeroplane.With the mixture leaned to the correct fuel:air ratio (i think its 5:1) due to the fact that there are less molecules of air for a given parcel of air, the aircraft engine uses less fuel because there is less air, hence range is increased.Also at higher altitudes, the aircraft must have a faster True Airspeed (TAS) for a given Indicated Airspeed (IAS) thereby increasing range.Finally, I like to be as high as possible on over-water flights incase the engine quits!!  ;D ;D ;D

Sorry mate.Didn't mean to insult your intelligence. I fly the 172RG Cutlass...Oldie but a goodie.

Happy flying  ;D ;D ;D

It's ok. I am sorry I was being an arse :P

Archived