Intel Core i7 950@ 3.8GHz

Evga X58 mobo

3x 2GB 1650MHz @ 8-9-8-20 1T

nVidia GTX 295 1792MB x 2

Coolermaster HAF tower

Thermaltake 1200W power

Noctua U12P SE cpu cooler

250GB SSD OCZ Vertex Series

It's a package machine already OCed (CPU and GPUs) and fully optimized by the store and comes with a guarantee as well. It's made for those who don't know how to OC themselves - like me. You think this will allow me to max/max settings and AI traffic?

Mate, take it from me, I just bought the 295GTX. Replace that with the overclocked 285GTX (like everybody is saying) and you won't end up with egg on your face, like me.

2 Cards looks like two eggs on your face, as SLI has very little effect in FSX (as I found out the hard way as well).

The rest looks like a ripper system to me (very similar to mine, hehe).

Frank

It's a ready made package with pre-tweaked OC settings especially for the named CPU and GPUs, I doubt it can be much altered...

But if the rig is pretty much like yours, am I going to be able to max out?

Maybe if I had the CPU and Ram OC'd. I've only just got around to installing new Ram, new updated mobo and a bloody big Thermalrite cooler on the CPU.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Who's a lucky boy and gets all my left-overs?

Posted Image

The rig up and running again without any hitches

Posted Image

Having said that, I'm really very happy with the settings and the results and am still trying to justify OC'ing the thing.

Next buy will be Win 7 and an SSD, we'll see what effect that has on sliders.

Frank

An i7 920 is perfectly sufficient and cheaper. With that I get a Windows experience Index (WEI) of 7.4

One 295 GTX is more than enough save your money. I get a WEI of 7.8 for both desktop and games.

(and I run the above and 3 disks, - 2 in RAID 0 -, 3 fans and SATA DVD RW on a 750w power supply so I think your p/s may be a bit over rated)

Like I said, it's a package with components OCed and optimized to work together. I can change the hard drive perhaps but that's about it. Talking about drives: SSD vs 10-15k RPM RAID-0, which makes more sense? Yeah... I just read the defragging thread and started wonder...

You of course are right.

However at 5.01pm, when my wife walks throo the door, a tablecloth and our evening meal is on that table....

Don't want to get on the wrong side of the minister of finances !

Frank

In the shots above who laced all this together with zip ties?  The reason I ask is unfortunately as neat as it looks it would be one of the worst things you can do simply because of all the sympathetic RF and induction that occurs inside a PC case. in short electrical noise.

Maurice,

I've done it on all my PC's since my first XT.

Never struck any problems with electrical noise. I would have thought that with the insulation on all cabling manufactured to date, that the problem would be kept to a minimum.

Of course I defer to those more qualified in answering this situation.

I can only go on a good few years of experience in never finding it a problem,

Frank

Could be because I'm a Radio hobbyist and parasitic induction is high on my list of things to avoid .

RF and PC's is often a right pain, which is why I never tidy up behind the PC bench I did this once in the early days with my HF radio etc and had al sorts of dramas with induced RF and Audio problems , you name it . After leaving cableing just laying about most of these errors dissappeared.

If it's working for you and you've not had issues then don't worry too much mate , I guess I'm too used to working around RF Transmitters and the like. where I choke things and ground them but never bundle.

Archived