Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9650 vs E7500 OC:3.5Ghz

Edward Boyte

Possibly remember that you main board will need to Quad Core compatible and your memory suitable also.

4 cores idleing at 3 Ghz will be far superior dual core working overtime at 3.5.

In theory you should have 5Ghz Advantage.

I'd have thought it was the other way round. Because very little software will make good use of the multiple cores -- FSX only has a token dabbling with multiple threads, and FS9 is very much single core. So two fast cores are better used than four slow ones.

Well now,  yes and no Tim you see what you do is set the OS to use Core 0 (default FSX to use Core 1 & 2 and your Weather Team Speak etc on Core 3. 

Now you have the best of both worlds especially if you want to clock up a few percent

I don't know......look at my sig.....what do you think is better 4 core Q9650 @ 4.32GHz or 2 core E7500 @3.5GHz ? Now I don't know what mobo you have but if you have to change it PLEASE go for the DDR3 memory.......right now my FSX is running very smooth but my next upgrade will be

with DDR3 (i7) unless they are comming with DDR4.........lol.

I recently upgraded from a E8600 @ 4 GHz to an Q9650 @ 4 GHz and the improvement is not that big.

If you want to upgrade, you should make sure that you can run the new CPU at a higher clock than the old one to see an improvement

Hi Eddy,

Your P31 DS3L will handle the Q9650 if you have the F10a BIOS version installed.  Updating a Gigabyte Motherboard BIOS is not hard.

However, you can get out of it a little cheaper with a Q9550 and a little overclocking as you have already done with the E7500 and still get Q9650 performance.

I have an E8400 on a GA EP45 DS3L running at 3.6GHz (400x9) and still get stutters and I am considering a similar upgrade to the one you are.

Let me know what you end up doing and how it affects your FS performance.

Bernie

Archived