Getting FSX Steam out of co-existence mode

I've just uninstalled FSX Acceleration and now my only FSX installation is FSX Steam Edition.

I've followed the advice found here:

to clean up the registry.

I checked HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition and there is no entry named co-existence so I assumed that it wasn't in co-existence mode to start with. I then started FSX Steam to create the FSX folders in ProgramData and AppData, but after completing all it's initialization all the new folders were named FSX-SE.

I've added the missing co-existence  entry in regedit as a new string value directly under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition and set it to 0.

I then deleted the FSX-SE folders and re started FSX. Despite adding the new key, FSX Steam persists with starting in co-existence mode.

So what do I do now? Any ideas?

Regards.

Pontius.

Hi,

I'm afraid you corrupted your Windows registry by wanting to have both FSX and FSX SE. If you don't mind, I suggest you to uninstall both FSX/FSX SE then clean all related entries (with CCleaner for example) before reinstalling only FSX SE

Hi Richard.

I was afraid somebody would say this. But when it comes from a developer, I can't disregard it. So it looks like I'll have to reinstall.

I'll be seeing Dovetail Games in October at Flightsim 2016. I'll make a point to them that I believe co-existence mode should be officially discouraged. Almost everything I've found about it online suggests it causes more trouble than it's worth.

Regards.

Pontius.

Don't worry. Every month, I uninstall and reinstall FSX and P3D about 10 to 20 times. I didn't feel I was losing my time I did something else in the meantine. Except Orbxlibs and FTX Global Base, there is no need to do for other FTX addons if you don't move location or delete the root directory

Archived