Im Ran Khan Hassan caught red handed.

Jay Kae

Matthew you made several repeated posts at AVSIM on how you were concerned that your right to activate your purchased Orbx software had supposedly been taken from you by the forum closure, when in fact the installers are produced by FSS and tied to their validation servers. You certainly helped create the impression we were doing the wrong thing there, which has not gone unnoticed by me. A simple execution of the installer would have immediately allayed your fears.

With respect to activation, I think we will actually head in the opposite direction and make our products less intrusive to install, but easier for us to track theft. No one likes complex protection schemes, me included. But if abused serial numbers are detectable and cause product lockout that will in fact be much more effective.

Rest assured we will find the best solution with the least inconvenience to our paying customers.

It's good news that you are making efforts to protect your business.

As a paying customer I still maintain it was wrong door Orbx to close its doors for even 24hours, you should read some of the latest comments over AVSIM as they are absolutely scathing of your treatment of your customers.  IMO the last thing Orbx should do is alienate paying customers in what is already a small (and possibly shrinking) market.

Really, I think this was a PR fiasco for Orbx.

Naaaaah, they've built up enough good will with the excellent products, constant support, continual upgrades and freebies, giveaways etc. etc. etc. to weather a few people being temporarily miffed.

With respect to activation, I think we will actually head in the opposite direction and make our products less intrusive to install, but easier for us to track theft. No one likes complex protection schemes, me included. But if abused serial numbers are detectable and cause product lockout that will in fact be much more effective.

Just a thought, couldn't a pirate simply "repackage" a product after its already been legally installed/validated.  What stops someone just zipping up the files and saying "here, unzip this into your FSX directory and edit FSX scenery .cfg like this" or whatever, thereby completely skirting whatever measures you put in place anyway.

Naaaaah, they've built up enough good will with the excellent products, constant support, continual upgrades and freebies, giveaways etc. etc. etc. to weather a few people being temporarily miffed.

Agreed. If all the posters who are crying foul at AVSIM and other sites had open support threads and were in dire need of flying then maybe it would be a legitimate meltdown. This community just loves to be so dramatic, its like dealing with a 1000 anonymous comic book guys. "I don't think it fair that I missed a screen shot, I now shall not return for a fortnight" jeez get over it.

John

lol well maybe his home town is kandy but for sure that isp from that house is not dialog.lk their headquarters is in colombo downtown he must be using a friends computer or he is working in colombo or stay in that house because going from colombo to kandy take hours 3 to 4 hours by car i have done that trip many times so he must be studing or working in colombo most likey studying if he is 20 years old.

i agree with scotchegg. most people are reasonable and not prone to sulking for long. not even 24hours. so for the few sooks out there that can't get there head around the larger picture, this member certainly won't miss them and i doubt ORBX will notice there ommission either................ ::)

i agree with scotchegg. most people are reasonable and not prone to sulking for long. not even 24hours. so for the few sooks out there that can't get there head around the larger picture, this member certainly won't miss them and i doubt ORBX will notice there ommission either................ ::)

It is possible to view the shutdown as a bad decision yet not be sulking about it you know :)

And stating that ORBx wouldn't miss paying customers go away seems a bit illogical surely?

It is possible to view the shutdown as a bad decision yet not be sulking about it you know :)

And stating that ORBx wouldn't miss paying customers go away seems a bit illogical surely?

What has happened has happened and there is nothing we can do about it now :). This has certainly generated a lot of discussion about about piracy which is good for the whole flight sim community. So lets just make it harder for them and not argue between us :).

Cheers

What has happened has happened and there is nothing we can do about it now :). This has certainly generated a lot of discussion about about piracy which is good for the whole flight sim community. So lets just make it harder for them and not argue between us :).

Yeah, apologies if it seemed I was trying to argue, the smilies need to be bigger  ;D ;D ;D

I would also like to agree with scotchegg, I for one don't think JV has made a wrong decission. At least it has the whole FS community talking about it and as most posts are in favour and support of ORBX I don't think he will lose any cutomers over the 24 hr shutdown.

I for one will continue to support ORBX and the guys at AussieX with purchases and donations as new products come to hand.

Let me say though, that if the products are not up to their already magnificent standards, I would move away from their works.

(Would you go back to a restaurant if the meals weren't up to scratch?)

I think some of the payware products that are out there are rip-offs, and as such I will only buy them once, but with ORBX I wait in anticipation for their next offering. I've also said it before; this forum has some of the nicest, well behaved contributors on any forum I have visited, it's a shame that AVSIM should have so  many on their forum that would denegrate the actions of a small company that has revolutionised the flight sim world.

Lets hope that pressure can be put upon the Sri Lankan police to aprehend this felon.

Cheer

Hank

Sidenote: Everyone is referring to JV but it was as much a decision on my part as his so if there is blame to be shared... I will put my hand up.. gladly :)

It's not the end of the world  ;D My comments have been driven more by a desire to see ORBx succeed and prosper, I don't want them going away, I mentioned these events to my wife who owns a company that does Investor and Media relations for Biotech firms involved in drug and treatment development, her comment was "Ouch, not a good look for a company" essentially.

And yeah, I know I'm a lurker, dunno why I have felt drawn to comment.

btw, I have some questions for a review of the software I'm writing, who is best to contact?

Guest steved

I find this thread to be extremely worrying. To me you are nothing but a cyber vigilante. You are not judge jury and executioner. Let me try to give a comparison. If you caught a thief in your house you could not go around printing details of name address and details of his crime at least not before he has had his day in court. Already there have been a number of physical threats made against this person by members of this board, Let us say one such enthusiastic supporter took it upon himself  or herself to extract revenge on this person Would you be proud in your part, I would hope not.

Vigilantes are nothing but thugs with no respect for process.

Not to mention possible mix ups due to dynamic IP adresses or other factors that could lead to doing harm to an innocent person. I'm not only talking about physical harm but also about irreparable damage to a person's reputation if the wrong guy should be put in the pillory in public. But I think most people here were just venting and not really intending to do anything stupid (and worse than being a thief).

"I find this thread to be extremely worrying. To me you are nothing but a cyber vigilante. You are not judge jury and executioner. Let me try to give a comparison. If you caught a thief in your house you could not go around printing details of name address and details of his crime at least not before he has had his day in court. Already there have been a number of physical threats made against this person by members of this board, Let us say one such enthusiastic supporter took it upon himself  or herself to extract revenge on this person Would you be proud in your part, I would hope not.

Vigilantes are nothing but thugs with no respect for process. "

Posted Image

Guest steved

Scotch egg

That was a considred and intelligent reply. You must have searched the internet long and hard for that image. Insults are the wit of the idiot.

Stevie, Stevie

Possibly, but hyperbole is certainly the resort of the rhetorically impoverished. Were you addressing a baying mob of hooligans you may have a point, but an online forum of flight-sim enthusiasts? Do you think it's really likely they travel the world with baseball bats to express themselves?

Steved,

I can see your point as well... it is sometimes hard to pinpoint a persons exact location... (look at the TOP character they thought they'd shot yesterday in Indonesia)

I think that there is a lot of anger being aired, and rightly so. Most of us don't want to see ORBX crumple under a debt burden and dissapear from the FS scene.. it has been a breath of fresh air to us simmers. If this continues (piracy) , and undoubtably it will, but we have already converted a couple of these people to see our point of view, who have come forward and apologised. So if nothing else there might be a few more pirates out there who have not come forward, but who will now reconsider stealing from someone with the knowledge that if that company can't sustain the onslaught, they will have nothing to steal.

I'm in the same boat as John and Jay, but on a much smaller scale. My wife and I have produced seven CD's in our career, and basicaly sell them direct to the public... only small fry... but one time i googled myself and found that there are sites in Russia, Germany, Holland (my birth country) and Denmark where you can purchase my CD's for a download price... of which I don't get a cent. Tried the musicians union and AMCOS, but it's out of their jurisdiction. Even emailed the host site, but no reply of course.

I think we must vent a little anger, but I can't see any harm coming to this ratbag in reality.

My 2 cents worth again

Cheers Hank

Rest assured we will find the best solution with the least inconvenience to our paying customers.

Thank goodness for this approach.  I have trouble enough trying to remember where I [ever so safely] have stored my unlock capability  ::).  I made a "multi" buy some time ago and found I had a real job trying to sort out what needed to be input to the system to unlock the wrapper [again  ::)]  I have also managed to run out of activation lives on one particular product - "playing" in XP, Vista 32 and 64 and Win 7 32 and 64 - and had to get Adrian over at FSS to help.  Whilst his response permitted me to carry on, the words made me wonder what [if anything] was implied in his response.  I decided to just let it go, he might have been having as "good" a day as I had  ;D.  Anything which helps a GOF is very welcome indeed. ;D  ;D

Maurice.

"I find this thread to be extremely worrying. To me you are nothing but a cyber vigilante. You are not judge jury and executioner. Let me try to give a comparison. If you caught a thief in your house you could not go around printing details of name address and details of his crime at least not before he has had his day in court. Already there have been a number of physical threats made against this person by members of this board, Let us say one such enthusiastic supporter took it upon himself  or herself to extract revenge on this person Would you be proud in your part, I would hope not.

Posted Image

Scotch egg,

I love your sense of humor. That image is how I will remember the ninnies who are gossiping about this at their AVSIM knitting circle.  ;D

Stephen

I mentioned these events to my wife who owns a company that does Investor and Media relations for Biotech firms involved in drug and treatment development, her comment was "Ouch, not a good look for a company" essentially.

I work in the pharma sector and while there are issues with piracy they can hardly be compared to those in the software industry. Authorities also tend to take more interest as the bogus products could seriously harm people.

Posted Image

I tend to disagree, it is this kind of attitude that thief's appreciate.

When a criminal get caught stealing, killing or what else the officer who caught him/her must address him/her with respect, call him/her sir/mam when reading rights.

He/she get sent to jail where he/she is provided with clean clothes, his/her possession must be stored safely to be returned if need be.

He/she then get the wonderful opportunity to get their own legal help or if they need the state can provide them with a free lawyer.

Before the court, whilst and during he/she will be provided with 3 meals a day. He/she will be provided free of charge the needed items, soap, shampoo etc.

He/she will be transported from the jail to the court and back, during this period guards need to show respect and treat he/she with respect.

When he/she is found guilty he/she will be sentenced.

He/she will then be given the opportunity to join a special program designed to educate him/her so he/she could form part of the community when the jail sentence has been served.

Yeah you heard me, free resources.

In the mean time there is 2 kids and their mother sitting at the back of the court, the kido's lost their daddy and the wife a hubby because he/she shot their daddy 5 times in the chest because he/she wanted daddy's wallet.

They must be happy the he/she gets the treatment as above.

No wonder criminals are having fun.

Sorry but I won't be one of those who would justify or stand-up for any type of criminal.

Stealing stuff from Orbx is just low and such person deserves to be dropped off in the middle of the desert with 500ml truck oil in a bottle.

He/she lost his/her rights when he/she lost their humanity.

But then again, any and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I work in the pharma sector and while there are issues with piracy they can hardly be compared to those in the software industry. Authorities also tend to take more interest as the bogus products could seriously harm people.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that we were discussing it purely from an Investor/Media relations angle, no comparison with piracy in pharma was intended. My bad  ;D

Posted Image

I tend to disagree, it is this kind of attitude that thief's appreciate.

Jacques,  Scotchegg was just quoting Steved two postings before, and was being sarcastic. That is what the humerous picture was about. He agrees with you. Ya gotta keep better track of who is disagreeable to you when you are disagreeing. It cuts down on the collateral damage.

Spirit Flyer :)

Hello,

Fsgamer changed ISP, following a variety of information.

This is really a scum, you must eliminate it.

Alain

--------------------------------------------

IP address Fsgamer the 08/13/09 - 11h52 PM: 203.153.222.14

inetnum:      203.153.220.0 - 203.153.223.255

netname:      AIRTEL

descr:        Bharti Airtel Lanka Pvt. Limited

descr:        598, Elvitigala Mawatha

admin-c:      SP928-AP

tech-c:       SP928-AP

mnt-by:       APNIC-HM

mnt-lower:    MAINT-AIRTEL-LK

mnt-routes:   MAINT-AIRTEL-LK

address:      598, Elvitigala Mawatha, Colombo 5

phone:        +94-718841275

fax-no:       +94-112478746

e-mail:      sujith.perera@airtel.lk

Hello,

Fsgamer changed ISP, following a variety of information.

This is really a scum, you must eliminate it.

Alain

--------------------------------------------

IP address Fsgamer the 08/13/09 - 11h52 PM: 203.153.222.14

inetnum:      203.153.220.0 - 203.153.223.255

netname:      AIRTEL

descr:        Bharti Airtel Lanka Pvt. Limited

descr:        598, Elvitigala Mawatha

admin-c:      SP928-AP

tech-c:      SP928-AP

mnt-by:      APNIC-HM

mnt-lower:    MAINT-AIRTEL-LK

mnt-routes:  MAINT-AIRTEL-LK

address:      598, Elvitigala Mawatha, Colombo 5

phone:        +94-718841275

fax-no:      +94-112478746

e-mail:      sujith.perera@airtel.lk

Yep send a nuke  ;D:D.

An interesting scenario would be if the accused was located say, in Australia, whether the "name and shame" (or worse) game would be employed with the same vigor, given our fairly rich defamation laws.

Cheers

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I saw that he said his home is Kandy but the location where the IP ends is in that house on the map I posted :)

Lets all download b-17's and bomb the bugger :P developers work too damn hard to have little cheap sons of ...... like this guy to rip the food right from  their mouths! With the quality of products such as FTX (among others) is 30-40 bucks really that expensive that they have to steal it? get a damn job! You guys will allways have my Paid support!!! keep up the great work!

SOME NEWS: fsgamer's torrents NO LONGER exist! Seems like the scum finally gave up, though torrents of FTX products are still there, there goes one load of torrents and more than 4 FTX products.

Good luck for future battles against piracy,

Mitchell Williamson

Archived