FPS

jgruschow

Does anyone know what is the real cause of very low fps?

I have a 775 cpu o/clocked and running at 3.95

I have a 285 vid card with 1.0 gig of ram

I have 12 gigs of ram

M/B is an Asus Rampage ll

Yet I can only get 10/15 fps at YMML.

With all sliders down to minimum and everything that's not  necessary turned off the best I can get in most areas is 19fps.

My cpu usage is only 50%. Memory usage is about 20%.

Can anything be done to improve the fps?  Throwing money at my computer doesn't help.

Paused at 500 ft. in front of the Hilton, looking over the airport with evrything at minimum never gives more than 9fps.

I think that YMML is the best, most realistic, airport done yet and I want to use it.

Jack

What OS and SPs (and 32-bit/64-bit)are you running and how have you got FSX set up (separate HDD/partition) and what other software are you running on your PC?

Regards

PeterH

Am running Win 7 RC  64 bit

FSX has it's own partition on a SSD disk

Apart from utilities there's nothing else.

I have a 260 gig SSD disk running two partitions. C: is the O/S and utilities and D:, FSX. Also have a 300gig veloraptor which at the moment is 100% empty

Jack

WOW!! That should fly (pun intended) - I have a measly E8600 on a single bog standard SATAII drive (with the OS on board) and it runs OK for me for GA flying in Oz.

You've tried this guide: http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1208959973

You are running FSX plus SP1 and SP2 (or Acceleration)?

Was FSX a "clean" install ie FSX RTM then SP1 then SP2 (or acceleration)?

DX10 can slow some systems down.

Bloom likewise.

Windowed or full-screen can affect some systems

Unlimited or locked frame rate.

Bufferpools setting?

Deleted areas on SSD slowing access?  - "TRIM" function.

Hyperthreading ON/Off?  (Off is better for FSX)

Hardware problem with gpu?

RAM not running optimally with this cpu?

Multiple display entries in fsx.cfg file.

This is probably another quirk of the FSX software.

This is worth a read: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=241713&st=25&p=1534164&#entry1534164 and http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=241915&hl=hyperthread&st=0

Other than these shots in the dark I do not have a solution for such a great computer.

PeterH ???

IU honestly think there is something really wrong with a config or graphics setting for this to be occuring Jack   that hardware should run at least at 40 + if not as high as 60-80 FPS I should think. I wish I had this sort of hardware to be able to test and tune for you and let you know what I suspect the sweet spot was.

IU honestly think there is something really wrong with a config or graphics setting for this to be occuring Jack   that hardware should run at least at 40 + if not as high as 60-80 FPS I should think. I love this sort of hardware to be able to test and tune for you and let you know what I suspect the sweet spot was.

Be my guest Mozz.

I'm om T/S

IU honestly think there is something really wrong with a config or graphics setting for this to be occuring Jack   that hardware should run at least at 40 + if not as high as 60-80 FPS I should think. I wish I had this sort of hardware to be able to test and tune for you and let you know what I suspect the sweet spot was.

There is no way to achieve those frames you mention in and around FTX YMML I had the exact same issue low FPS until I tried the original FTX YMML without SP1 and even then my frames around YMML are anywhere between 18-30FPS version just depending what part of the airport your flying around with my sliders settings set on high other than that everywhere else in AU Blue my FPS are exceptional.

Jack why dont you try the original version of YMML and if you havent got it ask J_V to give a link to get it thats what I did and have since run YMML without SP1 and its much better and worth a try.

My assessment leads me to advise;  kill the whole system and start afresh or buy a new HDD and install Windows on that (with your current system drive disconnected so that the 2 systems are totally unaware of each other).  You can boot to the new drive when the original drive is reconnected using the F5 or F12 key depending on what ASUS have decided to use to select the drive from which to boot.

The extra drive will most certainly come in handy later even if you only use it for this diagnostic process.

Install all the basics; chipset drivers, sound drivers, video card drivers etc and then load up FSX and associated FTX full terrain scenery and only load FTX YMML.  Then see what performance you get.

I don't have FTX YMML so take this only for what it is worth.

I have a system with this kind of configuration for Win7 testing.

System components

Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Mobo

Intel E8400 CPU running at 3.6GHz  (9x400)

4GB  Kingmax 1066 RAM (only running at 800MHz - 2x400)

The Win7 drive is a Samsung 500GB model which I got for around $80

Archived