LKHV Horovice - Introduction to the central Europe

feSyUEveK8ej0kh559787e949045.jpg

Introduction

This private airport is located near the town of Horovice, in the region of Central Bohemia in the Czech Republic. It is approximately 40 kilometers south west from the capital city of Prague, in the beautiful area of gentle hills and fields, surrounded by deep forests.

The town of Horovice with its notable castle grew from a settlement established in the 10th century. This settlement developed further into a trading post in the 14th century, incorporated into town in 1322. Currently it is economic and administrative center of the area with population of approx. 7,000, regional hospital with a heliport and many established businesses.

Airport history

During the communist regime this airstrip was used as a dispersion base for fighter battalions from various air bases, located in Pardubice (LKPD), Plzen - Line (LKLN), Hradec Kralove (LKHK) and Caslav (LKCV). When the Czechoslovak Air Force acquired the supersonic fighters MiG 19 in 1957 it was decided to add to the Horovice strip an asphalt runway, which was built in 1958. Later in 1961, with the acquisition of further MiG 19s, the asphalt taxiways were added. The base was able to stage up to 54 jet fighters. In 1969 and 1970 the surfaces were hardened to be able to accommodate advanced fighter such as MiG 21 and the supersonic fighter bomber Su 7 and later Su 22 and Su 25. In 1990 the base was decommissioned, the support infrastructures, such as fuel depots , were removed and whatever was left was handed over to the local aero club. 

It is a beauty of our hobby that you can still test your skills and try to land a jet trainer or even a supersonic jet fighter on this strip. Of course a low and slow approach is much easier on your nerves while exploring the surrounding area of central Europe.

The package includes all the favourite ORBX goodies, such as the People, Nature, Texture and Object flows. Also added are bonuses such as fully modeled town of Horovice and surrounding villages, to give you a better feel how this particular area of Europe actually looks. Custom autogen buildings were designed specifically for this area.

Also added are three fortresses - castles, two, the Zebrak from the 13th century (now only a ruin) and the Tocnik fortress are north west from the LKHV, the third - castle Karlstejn - is just a short flight north from the airport. 

The Karlstejn Castle is a large gothic castle founded 1348 AD by Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor - elect and King of Bohemia. The castle served as a place for safekeeping the Imperial Regalia as well as the Bohemian/Czech crown jewels, holy relics, and other royal treasures. Located about 30 km southwest of Prague above the village of the same name, it is one of the most famous and most frequently visited castles in the Czech Republic. See attached kmz file.

Please note: This package was designed to take a full advantage of FTX Global, Vector and openLC Europe. It is therefore strongly recommended to have the these three FTX layers installed. 

Enjoy!

JkBZKoLg6X8xEzZ559787aa0a481.jpg

LLku2TaT3vsWtbz559787a73f165.jpg

tw89ux8TnByxQSz559787acca61c.jpg

BwbGJiVh21LkDp5559787af3e3c5.jpg

VECsuGOGHsBxJqG559787b19c848.jpg

4JPbVKc4UKbykb2559787b40ab35.jpg

mkwikpMBI5Pr5sm559787b643664.jpg

q7q5olXxHvD6SRv559787b9215f6.jpg

iQZJeMas2xuBFp5559787bbcf099.jpg

4L50b8Ok5k9v9MK559787be3b9d4.jpg

d0iE1kLiv34aon5559787c0eb7ee.jpg

EY8g4D0HpYGXq3V559787c3ad517.jpg

FeMYedcJkCt4CbM559787c652d14.jpg

hZM4rijn1B4VVEo559787c8e94e9.jpg

lP2cMKPNEQjXET5559787cb1c7db.jpg

Rv8nVKKlWuzQQ5d559787ce22e9b.jpg

D5Z22dC8WruU0jU559787d1c6b17.jpg

j3lJNaP98FF3Zsm559787d488ad7.jpg

tX5Hza5VmE9bkKx559787d6b30c9.jpg

Q0IoBMKAJEbAUA8559787d91e36f.jpg

2FIS1wT4snVhbNg559787db88a30.jpg

im0G3z6639gcsgW559787de2d414.jpg

RpaYp0HBGjYNQwT559787e0cf995.jpg

MBehV1ZPORcHuTa559787e3e8242.jpg

UXCL2Y5yFuAJQ2S559787e66acf4.jpg

Yes, I'll definitely get this. still looking forward to more European ORBX destinations.

This would also make a nice supplement to the forthcoming Prague scenery by Aerosoft, should it ever become available.

Kind regards, Michael

Vlad I honestly cannot say I am surprised but I am very impressed with the castles and environment outside the gates of the airport (if there are any gates/fences, did not see any). We also know what to expect now from our airports and it is that which keeps bringing us back -- love the czech registrations on the GA aircraft and all the local details -- but it is all the creativity and hard work and love that we find 'out beyond' that really make this one shine.

So there you have it, folks. Now we have wine country by Misha and beer country from Vlad. What is next? Maybe Port wine in Portugal? Champagne in France? Or perhaps small GA airports in the Burgundy or Bordeaux regions?

Or maybe some Scotch? Some might like to try some lesser-known backwoods Bourbon strips in Kentucky or Tennessee?

I should not fail to mention Maurizio and his work in the South of France -- not sure what wines they grow there but I wonder if he is perhaps right now working away on some small winery details in the hills above Nice. Perhaps Port Westfalia is famous for some kind of local beer, or schnaps?

Ripcord, I like your weltanschauung !

Vlad, nice to have an OrbX developper doing stuff in continental Europe. OpenLC cries for such beautiful airports. Looking forward to it. And maybe afterwards, something along the Danub, not too far from Horovice ;)  ?

Hi Vlad,

I'm on the road now. From my iPad something I have to say here: I love this respect the local architecture. Especially the care of the urban part of the airport neighborhood: this is what creates the feeling of immersion more prevalent. When we land at new airport in visual conditions, we observe its neighborhood ... This is very good!

Cheers.

iPad

OpenLC cries for such beautiful airports. Looking forward to it. And maybe afterwards, something along the Danub, not too far from Horovice ;)  ?

Agree -- excellent idea, the Danube river has some great views and many interesting places to visit, I am sure.

Given we already have fine 3rd party renditions of Vienna LOWW as well as Budapest LHBP and the base OpenLC it might indeed make sense to populate the area with some more airports, notably for bush flying.

Kind regards, Michael

Given we already have fine 3rd party renditions of Vienna LOWW as well as Budapest LHBP and the base OpenLC it might indeed make sense to populate the area with some more airports, notably for bush flying.

I think by bush flying you mean general General Aviation in Central Europe. Cannot compare Alaska or the Yukon with the Bohemian Mountains, certainly, but hopefully we agree that it is a region worth discovering in a VFR environment. : )

What a surprise! Actually this is not an area I've been thinking of flying (although living in Central Europe), but maybe this will change when some sceneries like these are coming up. What's more I will visit Prague in a few weeks and I'm relly looking forward for it. Perhaps this encourages me even more to go for that beautiful area and finally get my rusty SibWings An-2 out of the hanger again :-)

Are you planning to do some more Czech sceneries in future?? It's always nice if you don't have only 1 isolated scenery in an area, but at least a few airports to fly between (like PNW, NorCal,...).

Anyone who puts an AN-2 in the static aircraft gets my vote. ::)

Looks to be a pleasant change from PNW flying.

Appreciate the background notes about the base & its context in history, as well as the other air base refs.

Lots of detail & long runway too.

Well done.

Will load up tonight & do some touring.

TTM

Only thing I could possibly wish for in this product, Vlad, is another one of the same quality somewhere in the region, so that I would have a good VFR destination to get to (good as in ORBX level good). But I am pretty happy with this for today.

@Vlad: Are you gonna bring your other Czech freeware sceneries to the ORBX standard and make it a beautiful payware addon like Horovice? Or are the other upcoming projects you talked about completly new ones?

Might Prague come one day or not. But I always felt international airports don't fit together to those VFR fields.. For example I would never fly from FSDT Los Angeles to ORBX Blue Canyon. And so I won't for Prague and Horovice for example..

@Vlad: Are you gonna bring your other Czech freeware sceneries to the ORBX standard and make it a beautiful payware addon like Horovice? Or are the other upcoming projects you talked about completly new ones?

Might Prague come one day or not. But I always felt international airports don't fit together to those VFR fields.. For example I would never fly from FSDT Los Angeles to ORBX Blue Canyon. And so I won't for Prague and Horovice for example..

Hi Dominik:

Yes, I'm converting the other freeware sceneries with [hopefully] a lot of enhancements and some new ones as well... It just takes quite a bit of tedious work to make it look as good as I can make it.

RE: LKPR - yes, work in progress, have just a new Beta to test.

True - you wouldn't fly from LKHV to Prague, the landing fees would be just too much, I can imagine! On the other hand, some of the small strips around Prague are quite difficult to access, for various reasons. All my relevant friends are currently engaged to get me in! ;)

Hi Dominik:

Yes, I'm converting the other freeware sceneries with [hopefully] a lot of enhancements and some new ones as well... It just takes quite a bit of tedious work to make it look as good as I can make it.

True - you wouldn't fly from LKHV to Prague, the landing fees would be just too much, I can imagine! On the other hand, some of the small strips around Prague are quite difficult to access, for various reasons. All my relevant friends are currently engaged to get me in! ;)

Thumbs up! :) Take the time you need.

Hi Dominik:

I did this flight few week ago and it´s not so bad (for LSA or ULAC it´s 400CZK) and it´s fun. 

BTW Nice work Vlad, appreciate  to have my home airport done by ORBX:), although in reality the runway is much more destroyed and in desolate condition than in FS but your work is outstanding.

Cheers,

Michal Cikrt

I really like this airport, it's very atmospheric. I noticed that there are a number of white patches of ground within a couple of miles of the airport. I was wondering what these white patches are supposed to be. I can provide a screenshot if necessary.

Bill

I really like this airport, it's very atmospheric. I noticed that there are a number of white patches of ground within a couple of miles of the airport. I was wondering what these white patches are supposed to be. I can provide a screenshot if necessary.

Bill

There are a number of quarries within a few miles, e.g. at Koneprusy on the route to Karlstejn.

Me too, the rolling wooded hills are a pleasant change from glaciers and mountains!

Yes, I concur--I was originally going to stick with NA scenery for a while, but I soon found it very nice to have a very wide variety among the Orbx sceneries--from the glaciers/mountains of the western NA to the rolling hills of Europe and the Australian outback, along with the tropical Pacific airports!  

Thanks jabble, but I have seen quarries in the scenery and I don't think these patches are them.  Here are some screenshots of the white patches.  Some of them are only 1-2 miles west of LKHV.  Does anyone know what they are?

Hi Bill, I checked Google Earth, and they're meant to be lakes.  I flew over to have a look and they're completely absent from my scenery.

2015-7-15_16-56-50-779.th.jpg 2015-7-15_16-58-58-965.th.jpg 2015-7-15_16-59-58-339.th.jpg Karez.th.jpgKarez02.th.jpg

Maybe a Vector issue?

I'm on P3D 2.5 + Global + Vector + Pilot's 2010 FTX mesh, BTW.

Hello Bill,

Really, a new topic would have been better...however

I have done my best to replicate your first screenshot and there

are many other differences in addition to the white bits.

2015-7-15_17-39-21-559.jpg

I don't think that OpenLC is working properly for you.

A couple of things to check, first did you have FTC Central set at

either Global or Global+Hybrid?

Secondly, the block of OpenLC scenery entries must be just above

Edward AFB (in FSX or its equivalent in P3D) with OpenLC base at the

bottom, OpenLC NA above it and the other 10 above them.

Do you have anyone else's landclass active for the same are?

Please check and if any problems persist, come back, ideally with a new topic

in the dedicated OpenLC forum.

Archived