Southern Alaska green trains?

Jack Sawyer

Thanks guys! I found the first one and landed at that little gravel strip near it. When I fly tomorrow I'll look for the one at PAGY.

What I'm doing is flying to all the airports in a region, one by one, well, the ones shown on the map that comes in the documentation. I just finished Pacific Fjords, stunning scenery, it's like I could just land there and live there.

Now I'm doing the same with Southern Alaska. But I'm going to have to either buy a decent seaplane or use a (yech) default FSX seaplane/skis.

You could spend your entire life flying around in these areas. It's fun and relaxing to just fly into a valley between mountains and discover something you didn't expect but was there all the time waiting for you to find it. You could fly past it on the other side of a mountain and miss that little fishing village.

Very cool scenery and with the HD trees it makes a huge difference in the sim.

Cheers.

Jack

Hi, Jack.

From personal experience flying in PNG, PNW, SAK, TFX, and Return to Misty Moorings, you can't wrong with Lionheart's Quest Kodiak.  There is a wheeled version as well as with pontoons.  It's a great bush plane for all occasions and situations.  You won't regret it.  Birdguy turned me on to this plane, and I haven't regretted it.

Stew

The green trains serve the Skagway-Whitehorse route, which originally carried the miners of the Klondike gold rush.  Nowadays there are good road connections, so the trains mainly serve tourists.  I think in the sim they are at several stations along the route - Skagway - Bennett - Carcross - Whitehorse, maybe more.  They were modelled by the late Jon Patch, one of our lost talents.

Don't you guys know better than to say hijack in an aviation world?  ???  :P

Droll

Very droll ::)

Hi, Jack.

From personal experience flying in PNG, PNW, SAK, TFX, and Return to Misty Moorings, you can't wrong with Lionheart's Quest Kodiak.  There is a wheeled version as well as with pontoons.  It's a great bush plane for all occasions and situations.  You won't regret it.  Birdguy turned me on to this plane, and I haven't regretted it.

Stew

+1 on the Quest Kodiak.

Superb aircraft for bush flying & GA in the outback.

TTM

My bad, duh! I get that all the time too. People say "Hi Jack" then laugh.

Thank you Spud for the link. I'll look at in a second.

And thank you jabble, interesting to know. I have never been to Alaska, would love to go some time. Those trains are cool, they even modeled the tracks well too. How do I find those towns in the sim? The gold rush, man that would have been something to be part of.

Also, I'm sorry to hear about Jon Patch, if you mean by lost that he died, then I'm sorry to hear about his passing. He did a wonderful job on those trains.

That's what I really like about Orbx, as I'm flying around in Alaska like that I see so many details, it's amazing what they did.

Thank you Tiger, I looked at it and think I'll buy it. What I really would like is a bush plane with the GTN750, my favorite GPS. But I cut my teeth on the G1000 which the Kodiak has so I might go with it if it doesn't cause any OOM issues. I had to uninstall a certain company's B200 because it was taking too much of a hit on the sim. The G1000 was too complex or maybe it and the sim didn't get along too well. But I like flying around in the planes with the 750.

I loved the look of that Kodiak though and if the G1000 doesn't VAS out the sim I'll have to get it because there's just TOO many interesting places to land in the Alaska scenery. All those seaplane bases and glaciers to land on. Just amazing. When I first bought and installed Southern Alaska last week and made a quick test flight at PAJN and saw the glaciers and how REAL they looked it took my breath away. So I decided to fly over one and between the mountains taking screen shots all the while. I have no idea how Orbx does it but it's light years ahead of anything else out there for FSX. Like I said before, it has given me a new sim.

Link to Return to Misty Moorings:

http://return.mistymoorings.com/

Strictly Bush Pilot country.

So these sceneries seems to be designed especially for use with Orbx? Any problems with any of them? Any issues? Are they easy to install? Some look very interesting, like the tent on top of the glacier and the map they give on how to get there. Looks like fun.

Thanks Stewart, I never heard of them before. I'll have to do a search for their site. What is PNG, & TFK and what is Misty Moorings?

PNG=Orbx's Papua-New Guinea package, another great place to go bush flying.

TFX=Tongass Fjords X, from FSAddons.  It fills in the space between PFJ (Pacific Fjords) and SAK.  A must have if you're going to install Misty Moorings.

Hijack!

Well, I've never been to Alaska either, or Yukon for that matter, I just like to learn a bit of history of the places I fly.  I suppose the best way to find the stations is to either use Google Earth to locate and then slew, or just fly the rail route in a slow plane/helicopter.  It's a beautiful area portrayed well by Orbx, and even includes the world's smallest desert.

Yep, Jon Patch was a talented scenery designer who passed away earlier this year.  As well as SAK he worked on quite a few other projects as well, some of which work very well with Orbx regions.

LOL! There will be NO hijacking on my planes! I rememer when I was a kid and there was a hijacked plane to Cuba once a week just about. Yes, I'm old. I remember when people could carry guns on planes too. And smoke.

I'm sorry to hear about Jon Patch, if he's looking down on us now I know he'd be pleased to see how pleased I am with his work.

I might do as you suggest, I'm not good with choppers, I can take off and fly all day, but landing? Not so much. I might try it with the ultralight though. There's so much to see there.

I'm in a similar boat with choppers - after enjoying Enemy Engaged, I was sorely disappointed in FSX's chopper dynamics, and left them alone for years.  Now I'm on P3D and, wanting to see Samoa more slowly, I tried the default R-22 just a couple of weeks ago - it's much improved over FSX.  I can now land without crashing 90% of the time, as long as you don't expect me too close to that little circle with the 'H' ;)  It doesn't have the depth of realism as an A2A plane, but the views are good and they're convenient for a quick sightseeing trip.

Thank you Tiger, I looked at it and think I'll buy it. What I really would like is a bush plane with the GTN750, my favorite GPS. But I cut my teeth on the G1000 which the Kodiak has so I might go with it if it doesn't cause any OOM issues. I had to uninstall a certain company's B200 because it was taking too much of a hit on the sim. The G1000 was too complex or maybe it and the sim didn't get along too well. But I like flying around in the planes with the 750.

I loved the look of that Kodiak though and if the G1000 doesn't VAS out the sim I'll have to get it because there's just TOO many interesting places to land in the Alaska scenery. All those seaplane bases and glaciers to land on. Just amazing. When I first bought and installed Southern Alaska last week and made a quick test flight at PAJN and saw the glaciers and how REAL they looked it took my breath away. So I decided to fly over one and between the mountains taking screen shots all the while. I have no idea how Orbx does it but it's light years ahead of anything else out there for FSX. Like I said before, it has given me a new sim.

So these sceneries seems to be designed especially for use with Orbx? Any problems with any of them? Any issues? Are they easy to install? Some look very interesting, like the tent on top of the glacier and the map they give on how to get there. Looks like fun.

JS07,

RTMM scenery is designed to work only with ORBX PNW, PFJ, SAK  and Holger's Tongas X scenery which you must have installed for the scenery to work properly.  There are several Scenery OBJECT Libraries that are required and can be downloaded from the site.  The RTMM scenery is compatible with FSX (DX9), FSX (DX10) and P3D v2 with these libraries.  Downloading installation is very easy and the site has excellent instruction on how to set everything up.  Over 200 location to fly to and explore plus there are now Medivac flights for both fixed and rotary wing.  RTMM does not use any ORBX Scenery Library OBJECTS but all our scenery lies within ORBX areas hence the need to have that scenery installed first.

JS07,

RTMM scenery is designed to work only with ORBX PNW, PFJ, SAK  and Holger's Tongas X scenery which you must have installed for the scenery to work properly.  There are several Scenery OBJECT Libraries that are required and can be downloaded from the site.  The RTMM scenery is compatible with FSX (DX9), FSX (DX10) and P3D v2 with these libraries.  Downloading installation is very easy and the site has excellent instruction on how to set everything up.  Over 200 location to fly to and explore plus there are now Medivac flights for both fixed and rotary wing.  RTMM does not use any ORBX Scenery Library OBJECTS but all our scenery lies within ORBX areas hence the need to have that scenery installed first.

Well, I have PNW, PFJ, SAK but not yet Tongas, my next purchase in about a week or so.  That site looks like fun, it adds a lot to the sim.

Jabble, I had to laugh, yeah, choppers are very difficult especially with a Saitek yoke!

And what a coincidence, this morning I spent a great deal of time looking at Pago Pago scenery.  Very nice!  It's on my list. 

Best regards guys,

Jack

I have another different question.  I was just looking at Blue Canyon-Nyack and was wondering what those round domes on the roofs were.  They look like telescope domes, are they?  I saw that the elevation is about a mile up so it would make for good seeing especially in Norther California.  I wonder how the guys at Orbx do it, it's so realistic it looks like a photo.  Great stuff.

Thanks guys.

I thought they were telescope domes, neat.

I'd like to drive but every time I find a site where I can download and install a car or a ship I can't find a car that is easy to install.

Gonna watch that video, I didn't know the trains move. So far I have only been to the coordinates of that one. I'd like to see it move.

Hi  Jack

You can visit this site and drive a car to follow the green train. See the video you will easily understand not only fly in the sky but can drive in the scenery.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/98797-where-can-i-get-a-car/ 

Terry

I flew up the Skagway River valley in a Cub yesterday following the railroad line & noticed the road on the other  side of the river.

Do the trains leave at the real life a scheduled time, in FSX??

TTM

I flew up the Skagway River valley in a Cub yesterday following the railroad line & noticed the road on the other  side of the river.

Do the trains leave at the real life a scheduled time, in FSX??

TTM

Tiger,

the White Pass and Yukon RR in FSX does not actually move.  The trains are static.

Archived