Sand Runway instead of Turf at WS25 Shangrila Airport

Hi forum,

my simulator keeps loading the wrong runway texture at small airstrips like WS25 Shangrila Airport.

When I restart the sim and load the flight all textures are correct (see first screenshot). But when flying a traffic pattern and approaching the airstrip the runway texture changes erroneously to sand (see second screenshot) although WS25 has a turf runway. How can I fix this issue?

2015-5-26_11-7-15-570.jpg

2015-5-26_11-11-7-693.jpg

Greetings,

Hi Bermuda,

What you're seeing is the difference in seasonal variations of the "grass" runway.  The first screenshot looks like spring.  Change your season to spring and see if it doesn't stay the greener color. 

Cheers, Neil

I've made some more testing on this and it seems the spring textures don't display correctly. Here are five screenshots to show you the rapid texture exchange I explained in the first post:

Date of the sim: May 1st, 2015, noon

2015-6-1_12-30-51-344.jpg

2015-6-1_12-30-58-244.jpg

2015-6-1_12-31-15-918.jpg

2015-6-1_12-31-32-465.jpg

Suddenly the runway texture changes

2015-6-1_12-35-30-437.jpg

After restarting the sim I tried loading different seasons in the following order beginning with the original turf texture in spring on May 1st, 2015

aSpringMay1st.jpg

Summer, 2015

bSummer.jpg

Fall, 2015

cFall.jpg

Winter, 2015

dWinter.jpg

Spring on May 6th, 2015

eSpringMay6th.jpg

Spring on May 1st, 2015

fSpringMay1st.jpg

Winter, 2015

gWinter.jpg

Spring on May 1st, 2015

hSpringMay1st.jpg

Spring on May 6th, 2015

iSpringMay6th.jpg

As you can see the textures on May 1st and May 6th at the end vary from the original turf texture in spring on May 1st and also vary from each other, not depending on the specific day in spring. However, I didn't manage to load the original turf texture again without restarting FSX.

What's the problem here???

Greetings,

To me it doesn't look like sand texture, it looks like abused dry grass texture which I guess you might expect at times other than the flush of spring.

The degree to which the grassiness of runways is displayed might be variable depending on textures used and graphics settings as well.  On my rig, although I don't see green grass, I don't see anything that I would call sand either.

If I get time I might grab some screenshots, in the meantime, this might have to be put in the vagaries of FSX basket.

The textures are set when we design the airport but the actual seasonal texture displayed is coded into FSX and cannot be changed by the designer. If you load up FSX in a particular season the runway texture will remain if you change to a different season. Flying away from the airport and returning will change it to the correct season. The actual season displayed on a specific date can be assigned by designers but this will still not always fix the runway texture shown. Just one of the quirks of FSX.

Larry

Archived