Which mountain groups...preferred?

Which mountain groups...preferred?  

487 members have voted

1. 1. which mountain groups...preferred?

• Himalaya - EVEREST, Lhotse, Nuptze, Makalu, Ama Dablan...
    • Karakoram K2, BroadPeak (Baltoro)
    • Alps (M.Blanc, Matterhorn, ....)
    • Dolomites
    • Rocky Mountains US
    • Patagonia
    • Other Preferences, your suggestions ....

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

isn't the grand canyon like, the opposite of mountains.  but I digress.

Made me think of the word Yama.

In Japanese it means mountain. In Russian, it means hole.

All depends on your point of view, I suppose.

A dream of mine would be Frank teaming up with Jarrad to create Telluride, Az.

As that's not an option for this poll I voted Alps since I believe the releases would be very quick ;)

Rocky Mountains. I assume we're not getting a Southern Rockies region anytime soon, so that's my vote. Aspen, Eagle-Vail, Montrose, Gunnison, Grand Junction, Steamboat Springs, Durango...all these places are pretty gorgeous and get regular commercial traffic.

Thank you for the many replies.
The poll will close at 21:00 tomorrow night (European time)

The choice of the group ... it's just a "starting point".
Subsequently, I will select the mountains to rebuild in 3D.

Not all the mountains are suitable for 3D rebuild (not worth it).
Only those with vertical walls,  or similar.

For areas,  where there is my free scenery (Alps...) ,  many mountains will be redone and added seasons.

If you look for vertical walls à la Yosemite El Capitan , I suggest Notch Peak in Utah, not far from OrbX Western lands (including your MV) !  It even may give JV the idea to do the Salt Lake City /Provo area :) !

Why not something completely different say the Presidential Range in the White Mountains including Franconia and Crawford Notches in New Hampshire or Linville Gorge in Western North Carolina .  Too much time spent on the West Coast of the US or Europe.  Thanks!

Being from Innsbruck, I have voted for the Dolomites, but I think the chances for them being the winner of the poll are quite low.

A suggestion of mine is Mt. Rushmore. What do you think of this?

I would also like to see this done.  I thought a while back, Mt Rushmore (and nearby Crazy Horse) ,would be a perfect candidate for Frank's techniques and talents, although the size may be a bit limited compared to some other choices in this poll.

Frank, personally I don't think there is much need in recreating work you have already done, so anything new that hasn't been done already would be my real preference.

Cheers,

How about those bush strips of Western (Indonesian) Papua New Guinea featured in a  recent TV series.  Similar to the strips on the Port Moresby Airport/ Kukoda trail, but I think, more dangerous 

How about those bush strips of Western (Indonesian) Papua New Guinea featured in a  recent TV series.  Similar to the strips on the Port Moresby Airport/ Kukoda trail, but I think, more dangerous 

hi John

This is not what Frank has been doing so far, he designs more like peaks or large rocks with recognizable shapes. But the good news is that Tim Harris hinted in a recent post to a possible follow up of the AYPY package !

One that might suit is the Old Man of Hoy, in the Orkneys.  Very popular with vertical climbers.

Edit: It's expected to collapse sometime, so you could become part of its portrayal history!

Alps, Alps, Alps   ;D  ;D  ;D

Thats where most Europeans fly in FS - and we are MANY    ;D

Bjorn

Stockholm

I also voted for the Alps. Living in Switzerland, this might not come as a surprise.  ;D

But it is about time, to get a quality product out there to enjoy. 

Hope they make the racew!

Not really mountains but the Halong Bay in Vietnam would be great in 3D model as the place looks like Monument Valley with a plenty of water [emoji14]

Not really mountains but the Halong Bay in Vietnam would be great in 3D model as the place looks like Monument Valley with a plenty of water [emoji14]

I second that, one of the really beautiful places on Earth and very well suited for what Frank excels in ! 

Frank, based on your previous work I am convinced the outcome will be stunning, whatever it will be. And thanks for asking. 

Kind regards, Michael

I choose Dolomites, Frank already did a lot of work in them, but i would like to underline how much this community miss Africa and i'm sure an east african orbx region togeter with Frank's kilimanjaro, Kenia and meru should be stunning.

I think part of the problem for much of Africa is getting accurate photo or topographic data.

One I'd like to see sometime is FZRO Luvua in the DRC, formerly famous as the "Shaba North" Otrag rocket launching site in the 1970s.  The site is on top of a dramatic escarpment with some very vertical sides, so Frank's skills would be at home there, but I've no idea where to get the sort of accurate information that would be needed.

I think part of the problem for much of Africa is getting accurate photo or topographic data.

One I'd like to see sometime is FZRO Luvua in the DRC, formerly famous as the "Shaba North" Otrag rocket launching site in the 1970s.  The site is on top of a dramatic escarpment with some very vertical sides, so Frank's skills would be at home there, but I've no idea where to get the sort of accurate information that would be needed.

That mesh would be a good starting point. The land cover might be trickier to render though.

That mesh would be a good starting point. The land cover might be trickier to render though.

Aha!  A good starting point indeed, but as you say, cover is a problem.  While in the developed world someone can get a flight or visit the area to take some good photos, in a country like DRC that would be quite difficult, not least as parts of it are still a war zone.  For Luvua, probably the main starting point would be Pweto (coming from Zambia), but that was badly affected by the war and infrastructure is still minimal.  There are other parts of Africa, though, that are in a much better shape - I reckon South Africa (& Lesotho) would make a great full-fat region some day, e.g. with the Sani Pass being a local version of the Trollstigen or Stelvio.

Archived