Orbx / Dovetail Games Press Release

So i sit at a crossroad, probably with 1000's of other Simmers, unsure which way to turn. And fully aware no Company, not Dovetail, not Lockheed Matin and not Orbx are going to give their game-plan away at this stage (due to financial and contract reasons well beyond a customers need to know) so that I can make a real educated choice today or within the next few months at least of which direction to take.

FSX:SE and P3D are both available to buy, and both happily run Orbx's (and many other publishers') scenery.  In most cases, the same addon will install into FSX, FSX:SE and P3D (e.g. Orbx triple installers)  This new announcement is for addons as Steam-specific DLCs which presumably will only work with FSX:SE, but these addons will also have triple-installer versions for sale after the 90 days.

So really, there is currently no hard choice about which way to turn: you either go for triples, with full compatibility, or Steam-specific DLCs which limit you to that platform.

As for the future, I reckon there are only two viable routes:

1) improved versions of the current sims, which will largely keep compatibility with existing addons, and

2) completely new versions which will be far more capable, but break addon compatibility.

1) has to keep compatibility, as who would buy a slightly better sim where you need to start from scratch?

2) has to be substantially better (e.g. 64-bit), as that's the only way for customers to accept something where they have to start from scratch.

If a) is looming (as looks likely - maybe P3D v3 and/or the new Dovetail offering), then it makes sense to partner with addon makers to ensure compatibility is maintained and the marketplace remains buoyant.

If 2) is to ever happen (as surely it must, someday), then it also makes sense to partner with major addon providers, as any marketplace pitch needs an initial set of addons at launch, and a way forward.

However, I don't expect 2) anytime soon, so I don't foresee any hard compatibility choices that we'll have to make just yet.

• 5 months later...

Archived