FTX global (FSX<->P3D(2.5)) issue?

Augustin320214

Hi there,

I purchased FTX global today from flightsimstore (order number: FSS0373353). I installed in FSX first with no problems. I ran FSX and tested day aswell as night. Then I did the same thing for P3D and noticed a huge difference, is this normal? What version is right and what is wrong? What should I do?

P3D v2

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/wvf

FSX

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/wvK

Kind Regards

Edit: Shots taken at EGPH

Yeah, looks like something has gone wrong with your P3D version install.  In P3D I have mostly countryside between the airport and S. Queensferry -

2015-4-24_21-27-34-804.th.jpg 2015-4-24_21-27-46-260.th.jpg

The first things to check - did you install the latest libraries after everything else?  Did you try cycling FTXCentral2 between Global and Europe?

When I first loaded ftx central up for p3d, it said it couldn't find the terrain.cfg wich in P3D is moved to c:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\... I copied the terrain cfg to my p3d root directory and afther applying ftx global base in ftx central I just copied it back to where it belongs...

Ah - of course - you don't have Europe, so can't cycle. Disregard my last screenies - I have FTX Scotland and was on that.  Here's one with FTX Global -

2015-4-24_21-54-55-867.th.jpg

I don't have FSX, but the P3D version should look pretty similar to it.  You certainly shouldn't have those heavy urban textures around the runway.

I don't know what the problem would be, then - hopefully the Orbx staff can jump in and help.  Good luck!

When I first loaded ftx central up for p3d, it said it couldn't find the terrain.cfg wich in P3D is moved to c:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\... I copied the terrain cfg to my p3d root directory and afther applying ftx global base in ftx central I just copied it back to where it belongs...

Ah, that could be the problem...  When you first install Global (current version) into 2.5, it should give you that warning, as 2.5 came out after it and changed some things around, like the location of terrain.cfg.  However, installing the latest library afterwards sorts that out - you don't need to move any files manually.

If you swapped around terrain.cfg before running the library, then it likely interfered with that process.  The safest thing to do would be to reinstall Global + library, though maybe the Orbx staff have a neater workaround.

Ok thanks for your time. I hope staff wil jump on soon.

Ah, that could be the problem...  When you first install Global (current version) into 2.5, it should give you that warning, as 2.5 came out after it and changed some things around, like the location of terrain.cfg.  However, installing the latest library afterwards sorts that out - you don't need to move any files manually.

If you swapped around terrain.cfg before running the library, then it likely interfered with that process.  The safest thing to do would be to reinstall Global + library, though maybe the Orbx staff have a neater workaround.

How do I install this library?

I checked it, I have that library already installed will that fix it?

Edit: Somehow to zip file is doing strange things with winrar it says: !   C:\Users\krefel027\Downloads\FTXORBXLIBS_P3Dv2_150331.zip: unsuspected end of archive
!   C:\Users\krefel027\Downloads\FTXORBXLIBS_P3Dv2_150331.zip: Archive has an unknown format or is damaged

I checked it, I have that library already installed will that fix it?

Edit: Somehow to zip file is doing strange things with winrar it says: !   C:\Users\krefel027\Downloads\FTXORBXLIBS_P3Dv2_150331.zip: unsuspected end of archive

!   C:\Users\krefel027\Downloads\FTXORBXLIBS_P3Dv2_150331.zip: Archive has an unknown format or is damaged

OK, the download hasn't worked properly - do you use a download manager?  They're more reliable than using a browser.  Also, there should be 3 available download sources, so you could try a different one.

Now, when you copied and moved terrain.cfg - which one from where to where? If you overwrote the one modified by the Global install, you'll have to reinstall that - the library alone won't fix it.  OTOH if you preserved that one but overwrote the library changes, then a library install should fix it.

I think something is wrong with fsx to now or is the first picture (see top) what it is supposed to be like?

My last pic shows Global+P3D, so that's what it should be like in both (approximately), so something has gone wrong with yours.  I'm a little confused - when you said you installed into FSX with no problems, did you also install the FSX library? Bear in mind there are two separate libraries for FSX and P3D.

To install into both flight sims, what you would need (from the start) -

1) install Global into FSX

2) install FSX library

3) install Global into P3D, ignoring any terrain.cfg warning

4) install P3D library

Those steps are needed for it to work properly in each sim.

It looks like the terrain.cfg move after 3) has broken that install, so you'd need to do 3) and 4) again.

If you didn't install the FSX library into FSX at 2), you need to do that too.

I already did 3&4 and still not seeing a difference

OK, then I'm guessing the terrain.cfg move somehow made a bigger problem. I don't know what the installer does under the hood - it may have created registry keys and temporary files that got stranded when the terrain.cfg entries were different. You could try uninstalling Global in P3D then install again.

Hi,

Installed fsx library, it hasn't done anything. Why is support staff not replying to this tread?

It actually realy upsets me that a well-known company has such a poor customer support. I just bought your addon for 72 euros and was already looking to a nice weekend of flight. (I don't have the time for it in the week).  Instead I'm sitting here waiting for a solution. How could it be that even a standard FSX install can't work properly? My FSX is installed in it's default location because I had problems with installers before. I can understand P3D v2.5 is messed up until it comes with native installers. But plain fsx? come on...

Thanks for the people that have already helped me.

Kind regards

Hi there,

I purchased FTX global today from flightsimstore (order number: FSS0373353). I installed in FSX first with no problems. I ran FSX and tested day aswell as night. Then I did the same thing for P3D and noticed a huge difference, is this normal? What version is right and what is wrong? What should I do?

P3D v2

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/wvf

FSX

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/wvK

Kind Regards

Edit: Shots taken at EGPH

Hi,

On your P3d shot, EGPH is a photoreal scenery reversing FSX's one which is the stock one. Make sure you have not installed a third party airport on P3D that can explain the difference.

The other point is FTX Global Base only change landclass textures not the organisation of the landclass (Vector and OpenLC do). There is a difference of landclass between FSx and P3D in the core of each programm.

Hi,

Installed fsx library, it hasn't done anything. Why is support staff not replying to this tread?

It actually realy upsets me that a well-known company has such a poor customer support. I just bought your addon for 72 euros and was already looking to a nice weekend of flight. (I don't have the time for it in the week).  Instead I'm sitting here waiting for a solution. How could it be that even a standard FSX install can't work properly? My FSX is installed in it's default location because I had problems with installers before. I can understand P3D v2.5 is messed up until it comes with native installers. But plain fsx? come on...

Thanks for the people that have already helped me.

Kind regards

Please take it easy. Staff need to rest the weekend too as much of us work the other days.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, have just done a complete reinstall of W7 and P3D 2.5, dowmloaded FTX Global Base 1.30 from Flightsim Store, got the terrain.cfg issue and spent hours looking over forum and google to resolve it.  The proposals are all conflicting and at your own risk, I don't understand why Orbx support cannot give a definitive and recommedned way to install by now, after all this is latest and official P3D 2.5 with latest and official Global Base 1.30.  I will muddle on, if I get to a successful end I will let you know

Hi cbruce, to get support here, the first thing you'll be asked for is to add your order details to your sig, so you're confirmed as a bona fide customer.  Details here.

I'm not aware of any conflicting, risky proposals on how to install Global - could you maybe post an example?

We have an official procedure:

-Install Global

-Ignore missing terrain.cfg error

-Install latest libraries

That will update FTX Central v1 to find the new location for the terrain.cfg file. Alternatively you can use FTX Central v2.

Archived