FSPS Fibre Accelerator

John York

A cfg file tweaker. May be useful for low end or old hardware. Sometimes just a placebo, sometimes can mess completely a rig. Completely useless IMO

Ok thanks.  I get the message.  I'll leave it alone then. ;D

That would be a shame, I hate to see people put off by casual misinformation. I don't have this utility but when it came out there was a lot of buzz about what it did and how effective it was, with some fairly convincing endorsements (such as this one by Pete Dowson). It's also incorrect to say this utility does what you can do yourself for free - the innovation it claims is that it dynamically adjusts things that can normally only be set in the CFG file between runs of FSX.

So that's the message - do your own research and decide for yourself!

I thought I was doing the research Mark by asking the experts here, but they don't seem to agree with one another. ;D

For once I'm taking the negative advice and will not get it.  I don't really need to improve performance anyway.

John

I thought I was doing the research Mark by asking the experts here, but they don't seem to agree with one another. ;D

For once I'm taking the negative advice and will not get it.  I don't really need to improve performance anyway.

John

Well.....all I can say is that I bought it and it did not do a thing for me............

So..........I guess the real message is YMMV.

Experiment, John!

Spend some money !!   :wub:

It has some limited utility for me - on the ground at heavy resource airports it generally improves my framerate by somewhere from 3-4 fps, which really helps keep me stay out of "slide show mode" - and as others have noted, it helps mitigate micro-stutters some for me as well. Once in the air, I found I no longer need it and just switch it off, which has been made all the easier, as it now has the ability to adjust its "dynamic tweaking" based on your altitude, and I set mine to go "off" at about 5000' AGL.  Far from a magic cure all by a long shot, but nor is it simply a useless placebo either if your are running somewhat underpowered hardware as I am. As always, YMMV...

It tweaks your cfg file dynamically while you're in flight. You can do it by yourself but then you have to shut down your sim and change cfg then load again. This utility is especially useful when flying into dense areas, like approaching London Heathrow or New York JFK. It gives me 10 fps in these kind of approaches which saves me from watching slideshow. If you have a top end pc with a gpu like titan x, you probably won't need this. But, if you have a pc like mine with somewhat mediocre gpu like gtx 680, then you might see a lot of benefit from using this utility. 

If you want to land complex aircraft into complex airports then Fibre Accelerator is a definite help, it does give you flyable frame rates, however you may not see any sharply detailed scenery on approach.

I think it is great but only for stopping slide shows.

I leave it off for bush flying over ORBX country.

Suggest you watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6QjTpxe_0E

Regards

Ken

Yes, the main message I get from it is you sacrifice some graphics quality for a frame rate improvement.

Not having a problem with frame rates even in the most trying conditions and wanting the best graphics I can get I don't think its for me.  I suspect though that those with a somewhat limited computer might find it beneficial although they could do the same thing by reducing the scenery and autogen settings in FSX or P3D with no sacrifice to scenic quality..what there is of it.

John

FSPS does not discernibly affect my graphics quality at all - but then again, I am not asking it to try and squeeze a frame rate  out of my box that it is entirely incapable of, really only stabilizing my frames at around the 26 fps that I generally get in all circumstances except in big urban areas with resource heavy aircraft like the NGX, I have pushed it a few times just to experiment, basically allowing FSPS to starve my fiber frame fraction so severely that the "blurries" were really bad, but the resulting frame rate increasing was only marginally better than the 3 to 4 that I get running it more moderately - still, 3 or 4 frames represents better than a 10 percent increase in fps for me with very little money spent versus building a new box that I don't have the time to do currently, and the fact that FSPS does this dynamically in real time with FSX running makes it a much better solution that accepting a statically set reduction by lowering configuration file settings - so I get as good a balance between fps and quality as  my hardware will allow at all times

Archived