User Airport Voting Trial

Alex Goff

We regularly see posts suggesting airports that Orbx develop. It's often hard to keep track of these and turn them into quantifiable data on where users would like to fly. As such, this month we will be trialling a new voting system. Ben McClintock has designed this voting system utilizing Google Maps API interface so that you can click on an airport icon and submit a vote indicating you would like to see this airport developed. Some general info to be mindful of:

-The voting map includes every airport within a current Orbx region larger than a farm strip. Almost all paved airports should be listed, most grass strips have been excluded.

-Voting does not give a guarantee an airport will be developed.

-Each user has a limited number (~10) of votes. You cannot vote for an airport multiple times. Once you hit the vote limit future submissions will not be entered into the data.

-Vote rigging, brigading, and exploitation is strictly disallowed. We will be monitoring the input data in real-time and take countermeasures if suspicious voting activity is noticed.

-Please keep discussion of the polling to this thread. All other threads will be merged back in.

All that being said, please take the chance to peruse around and vote for airports that you would be most interested in. There is a search function built in if you know the name of your airport but not the ICAO, or if you know the city but not the name. 

Link:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not complaining Alex but why exclude OpenLC EU. This is where we lack airports now more than in the fat regions.

The survey is targeted toward regions and also just to get a feel for the data we collect. If it's successful then we can create more targeted surveys for areas outside regions.

Darn, Seward is not among the options! It's a striking place!

Hmm, not sure why Seward got omitted. I'll get it added back.

Edit: Turns out it was never in the SAK KML where the locations and ICAO's were sourced. Getting added in soon.

My first four votes will target Northern Cal :

- two small strips along the beautiful rocky coast, Brookings KBOK and Shelter Cove OQ5,  

-  one small inland, O86 Trinity Center, a superb approach over the Trinity lake and a nice short flight from KRDD

-  and one larger Klamath Falls KLMT

My fifth vote will go to SAK with Valdez PAVD which screams to be recreated !

This is a brilliant business demand survey. Will the devs now be fighting over who gets to develop which strip? :) it's taken me 10 minutes to vote for one airport on my iPad. Oh how I love regional broadband in Australia! I hope I can cast my ten votes over a few days? Thanks for the opportunity guys.

Hi Alex (and colleagues), great idea to collect opinions, thanks.

My first vote would have been for a good payware replication of Launceston, TAS - but it is not in the options. Maybe because there is a (outdated) replication in AU Blue already, but I would still buy more detail... Is there any chance to add YMLT to the list?

I will enjoy making up my mind for the 10 clicks  ::) !

You guys should consider some Caribbean airports. 1) They're small. 2) Photos? Easy to obtain. 3) Market? It's definitely a large market looking for Caribbean sceneries. Its a small place. And having you guys do some work on the Caribbean with the excellent scenery quality would be amazing. Just a tip.

Perth Airport please

+1, yes please, only issue is that there is so much work going on at YPPH with the new terminals and International extension I dont think this would be possible

People just remember, dont waste your vote on Sydney Intl, Flytampa is still (hopefully) coming out soon.

But by all means vote away on the sunshine coast, Karatha or Williamtown (Newcastle) LOL

What a great idea Alex. I have voted for Whangarei, a pretty little airport surrounded on three sides by the Harbour. If you decide to do this one in NZNI, I should be able to get the photos you need. (Have a look at it on Google :) )

Cheers

Roger

Amazing idea - very democratic:-)

Wanted to vote for ENSG (Sogndal) - but there is a bug in your map: pointing the mouse to ENSG it shows ENSD (the ode for Sandane) - so i isn't possible to vote for this airport. Sandane ENSD is listed twice.

Thanks for this option.

So many airfields to choose, so few votes to spend... Voted for all Canadian airfields around Whitehorse, Yukon, and some around Bella Coola to have more destinations to go from there. Unfortunately my votes were used up there so I couldn't complete that area  ;)

I have personally voted for Gloucestershire/Staverton airport (EGBJ/GLO) as this is where I fly out for. Voted the best GA Airport by AOPA members for both 2013 and 2014, with some awesome buildings to recreate in and around the airport!

It has an ILS on the main 09/27 runway along with 2 other runway (3 including the grass) 04/22 04/22(G) 18/36 :) This place will be absolutely buzzing this week coming for the famous Cheltenham Gold Cup race week with lots of private jets and turboprops coming in and helicopter air taxis. Lots of FTO's are based here who all instruct PPL, CPL and IR. Bond Helicopters are based here and Bristow Academy and it also includes a scheduled 5x weekly Citywing flight to either Belfast, Isle of Man and Jersey using a Let L-410 Turbolet.

In 2013 there were 73,800 movements! It's been a while since Orbx have done an EU England airport, and I think this would be the best choice.

If Jarrad Marshall did this for FSX... well I would pretty much go mad! That would be incredible!! Thank you :)

1. When I open the map, just part of the Northern America Regions are shown. Of course one can zoom to other regions like beautiful New Zealand, but isn't this a bit, well, suggestive...?

2. Is there a place where the present results are shown?

Kind regards, Michael

1. When I open the map, just part of the Northern America Regions are shown. Of course one can zoom to other regions like beautiful New Zealand, but isn't this a bit, well, suggestive...?

I think it may just zoom in on the last KML file that Google Maps loads. Because I just got the KML file for Southern California it is the last one to be added. I'll see if I can get it to zoom out a bit.

2. Is there a place where the present results are shown?

Not at the moment, sorry :)

Thanks Ben, overall this is a great idea, beneficial for ORBX as well as their customers.

I'll take a bit time to reconsider which ones will get my valuable votes.

Kind regards, Michael

Not complaining Alex but why exclude OpenLC EU. This is where we lack airports now more than in the fat regions.

I do share this view.    I love my Regions, but it's areas like OpenLC EU that I want to explore more (it's so vast!), and that is where I'd like to see more Orbx payware airports.  Great that we got some amazing freeware for Germany from Thomas (EDBH, EDVR, etc - amazing), and now Porta Westfalia, but those are all in Germany.   I'd like to see Orbx payware for interesting countries like;-

- Spain

- Portgual

- Scandinavian / Nordic countries

- Eastern Europe:  Romania, for example, is stunning in OpenLC EU

anyhoo! ........... there is one region I would desperately love to see more orbx payware airports for:   SCOTLAND!

So all my 10 votes went on Scottish airports;  mainly in the Highlands and Islands.  :)

I really distributed my votes on as much regions regions as I could: SAK (Seward AK), PFJ (Terrace BC), NRM (Quesnel BC, Grand Forks BC), PNW (Alert Bay BC, North Bend OR), CRM (Crescend ID), AU (McKay), NZSI (Hokitika) and ENG (Carlisle).

As a low'n'slow GA flyer all these airports have interesting surroundings and are in "connecting" locations.

Hi Volker,

Hokitika ist a great place, but do you know there's already an excellent NZSI compatible freeware rendition available from Godzone?

Kind regards, Michael

A great idea ORBX!

My votes did go out to airports/airfields within ORBX's SAK, CRM and NRM regions, but also quite a few in NZ and Australia!

Silly me - i forgot about KPDX though, which would most certainly be a fantastic ORBX airport!

So if i had to vote again, KPDX would certainly get one of my votes!

But none of Ozx is officially P3D certified I assume.

gb.

Because of which I am a bit hesitant, too.

Kind regards, Michael

Yes me too. Ozx have done some brilliant little airports throughout Australia. I am hopeful these will be possible to install into P3D2 

Great idea!

I've narrowed down a top 10.

But... in true democratic tradition, I'd like to hear others' suggestions and ideas before I cast my votes.  Alternatively, can we cancel/reassign our votes if we're persuaded by others?

My current ideas are:

==================

3W7 Grand Coulee, NRM
Situated beside the majestic Grand Coulee Dam on the Columbia River, sandwiched between hills & plain, the area has interesting geography with Steamboat Rock and the Dry Falls nearby. A few small strips round about.  VFR only.

4S1 GOld Beach Muni, NCA
A small-town airport at the mouth of a river that flows down from rolling hills. Pretty area with photoreal potential. VFR only.

CYDB Burwash, SAK
A scenic location amidst lakes, mountains, rivers & glaciers with a bit of photoreal potential.  Nearby Silver City
airfield (CFQ5 - more scenic but less infrastructure) might make a useful 'secondary' feature. NDB.

CYZP Sandspit, PFJ
A local airport close to some seaside towns with SPBs, with quick access to the rugged coastline of the islands.  VOR, NDB & ILS.

CZAM Salmon Arm, NRM
Nicely located on a lakeside with interesting geography, it's not far from some of the most beautiful areas of the Nothern Rockies. NDB & nearby VOR.

EGEC Campbeltown, SCO
A local airport with a long runway (ex military, Machrihanish) that makes a good starting point to access the highlands & islands, and a short hop from NIR. Further up the peninsula, the Crinan Canal and Kilmartin Glen might be worthy of more detail. VOR & NDB.

EGPA Kirkwall, SCO
The main airport of the Orkneys, in an interesting location with a sprinkling of nearby small-island airfields. Includes the world's shortest commercial flight, Westray - Papa Westray. There might be some sites deserving more detail, such as the ancient Ring of Brodgar and the Old Man of Hoy. VOR, NDB & ILS.

ENSD Sandane, NOR
A rural regional airport in the heart of the Fjords, with glaciers not far off. Many coastal villages round about. Multiple NDB & LOC.

KMYL McCall, CRM
A good starting point for those Idaho back country airstrips with 'Bar' in the name. Local lakes for floatplane access, neaby NDB & VOR.

NZAP Taupo, NZNI
A regional airport beside the touristic Lake Taupo and close to the spectacular Tongariro & Ruapehu volcanoes.  NDB.

Archived